What are your favorite projects?

I joined this one too. I added all my domestic waterfowl observations. I periodically go through rabbit observations correcting cottontail vs domestic european rabbit, marking captive rabbits, and reporting feral/stray rabbits to AbandonedRabbits.com (unless they are part of a previously documented feral colony). So I added some of those observations too.

5 Likes

I am quite fond of the Hong Kong Moths project. I feel it is a prime example of Hong Kong’s level of biodiversity. This was also one of the first project I joined in iNat.

6 Likes

Carnivourous Plants of Western Australia
and: Native Hybrid Orchids of Western Australia
But I did create them!

2 Likes

I’m only going to mentions ones I haven’t seen mentioned already, and only traditional projects.

Banded Birds for banded or otherwise tagged birds.

Bird Feeders for observations of animals (birds or non-birds) feeding from bird feeders.

Bird Food for observations of organism being eaten by birds.

Bird-window Collisions for birds that have hit windows.

Black Squirrel for black-colored Eastern Gray Squirrels.

Digiscoped Photos for photos taken with a phone through binoculars or spotting scopes.

Hand Feeding for animals feeding from people’s hands.

Ignore the Elephant Seal for observations where the subject of the observation is not the most prominent organism in the photo.

Introduced Species for established populations of introduced species.

Muddled Ducks for domestic and/or hybrid ducks.

Norway Spruce Naturalization in North America for wild Norway Spruces in North America.

Observations with a Good View for observations with scenic views in the background.

Preening Birds for preening birds.

Project Porchlight for nocturnal insects visiting lights.

Squirrels Eating Stuff for squirrels eating.

The Butt End of Nature for photos of animal butts.

US-Mexico Border Naturalists for observations close to the US-Mexico border (on either side).

11 Likes

Some good ones I didn’t know! Thank you.

I really enjoy US Highway Rest Areas (Work in Progress)

3 Likes

I’ll be joining a handful of these! Ignore the Elephant Seal sounds awesome. I love projects for oddly specific and silly things like that! I’m sure I have a few observations that will fit right in.

1 Like

Many Hong Kong users I know tell me how much this project and @hkmoths’ IDs encouraged them to start using iNat and getting into moths. An excellent example (and there are many others) of how a good project and project creators/managers can create a community.

9 Likes

Are you going to make a collection project for this place?

I like all the ones I’ve joined, naturally - even the ones I only joined to add others’ observations to - but my favorites are probably:

Weird Wild Wonders: I’ve learned so much that helps with unknowns and even helped ID some things here.
Tilly Bones: I got to witness the birth of this project, as spawned from several observations in Weird Wild Wonders.
Nature Drawing & Journaling: An interesting look into alternative ways of documenting encounters for iNat.
Audio Observations from Around the World: technically, I think this is a collection project, but as with Nature Drawing & Journaling, it’s interesting to see other forms of evidence.
Microscopy: Cool pics, and maybe someday I’ll find my old childhood microscope & post something in here too.
Pollution: Not a fun one, per se, but very useful.

And of course these were especially helpful during lockdown:

2 Likes

Also, @Mercedes-Fletcher , given your participation in some other threads, this may be relevant to your interests:
The Name Game, A project to encourage and gather observations of organisms with odd, absurd, or awesome names.

1 Like

I think you’re right! Thank you! :)

1 Like

That’s so specific that it reminded me: Does anyone know of any projects for molds, fungi etc on food? Like a Food Spoilage project?

I was looking for one a while back & didn’t see anything, but that just feels like something that must already exist.

I don’t think I will be making a project for it, as I have no experience whatsoever doing so. I would love for someone to create a project for it though.

Collection projects are really easy to make. I can do it for you if you want.

1 Like

No, it’s a traditional project

1 Like

Really? Huh, my audio observations always seem to get automatically added to it IMMEDIATELY & I’m not a member.

2 Likes

Isn’t it one of old traditional projects with automatic system?

2 Likes

Yes. It has an aggregator or whatever it’s called.

@Star3 If it were a collection project, the banner for the project wouldn’t show up on your observation unless you joined the project.

2 Likes

Ah, that’s right. I forgot about the aggregators. I’ve edited my post.
Thanks, @lappelbaum & @fffffffff

1 Like