What birds can be seen in Swedish gardens?

I would like to visit Sweden one day, so I want to get familiar with its garden birds. Can you tell me some?

The Observations page allows you to screen by taxon and location, so, for instance: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=7599&taxon_id=7251&view=species would suggest you’d be likely to see a Eurasian Jackdaw (Corvus monedula).

3 Likes

But I want to know Garden birds specifically, so if many people iNat in wild areas, the list will be biased towards wilder species. And if few people iNat in one area, only a few birds will show. But it will still be useful, so thanks!

As any place every garden would have different birds in it, don’t think Sweden garden ornitofauna is much different from UK one, for example. Having around 540 species (and only half of them breeding) you can easily exclude ducks, cormorants, shearwaters, terns, loons, bustards, etc. and have pretty short list. So lists like https://birdwatchinghq.com/common-birds-europe/ can help you.

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi The Swedish bird seen varies a lot through the year, about 40 stays around in the north, a bit more styas in the south and the rest migrate south to mediterranean and further south. As you probably understan the summer birds also varies between areas. But the basic 10 all year round would be great tit, blue tit, magpie, tree sparrow, hooded crow, jackdaw, feral pigeons, mallard, greenfinch, raven. If you need details check www.Artportalen.se thats the swedish “eBird” with all you need.

2 Likes

I live in the middle-east of Sweden in a relatively well populated neighbourhood. Some visitors I’ve noticed in my garden are: Parus major, Passer domesticus, Cyanistes caeruleus, Pyrrhula pyrrhula, Chloris chloris, Turdus pilaris, Passer montanus, Turdus merula, Bombycilla garrulus, Pica pica, Larus canus, Coccothraustes coccothraustes. I know I also have woodpeckers, not sure about species though, possibly Dryobates minor.

In gardens I think you will see more birds in Denmark. Out in the countryside, particularly in forests or more wild areas you will see more birds in Sweden. That’s been my experience in case you have an option. The slightly more temperate climate and easier connection to the rest of the continent seems to make a difference. And if you have even more of an option, go to Northern Norway. On the coast it is an explosion of birds. It will astound you.

2 Likes

OH yeah! I completely FORGOT my dear friend eBird!

I’m not sure… I would like a trip to sweden just to meet my relatives, likely in a few years, and birdwatching will just be another thing to do, but still thanks for the tips!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.