What camera should I buy?

I did a decent rundown of my thoughts on the Olympus TG-6 here…

https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/olympus-tg-6-for-botanising-and-occasional-insects/32503/33

Mammals and birds can be tricky to photograph without a way to maintain distance between yourself and the subject without the specimen fleeing after becoming aware of your presence. Obviously this isn’t the case with everything as I’ve literally almost ran into deer before, and stuff like pelicans, ducks, vultures are quite large compared to many birds and thus much easier to photograph.

Whatever system(s) you do incorporate, I insist you learn the limitations of your gear backwards and forwards by regularly reading the manual, familiarizing yourself with all internal functions on the camera and above all… practice.

I became miles better with my DSLR system after having specifically devoted time to practicing the exact functions (fast manual focusing, whilst constantly adjusting ISO and shutter speed to compensate for variable lighting).

That said, I use my underwater rig about 6 times a year, and while I know the system well, my resulting photos are can often be sub-par, mostly because I just don’t spend enough time using the system for this application to have the intuition to make on the fly adjustments correctly, especially when I’m struggling in the current or have other distractions in the water.

4 Likes