What decides suggestion order in ID dropdown list?

I notice that the order of various options on the ID dropdown has changed since the recent update. For instance, clicking identify and typing the letter D would formerly cause Dicots to be the first suggestions. Now the first on the list is Diplacus, followed by Diprotodontia…

What controls the order of these options? It seems more useful to have the more frequently-chosen ones at the top of the list.

4 Likes

I’ve noticed the same. Most of the time, for “di…”, Dicots is the third suggestion. Sometimes it’s the second. I don’t understand what’s influencing it.

3 Likes

I noticed the same and thought it might be my computer. I often use Hetero which normally ended in Heteroptera, but now it ends in Heterocera which is flagged. Heterocera was never in the dropdown list before.

2 Likes

Yes, I used to type ‘bi’ and birds appeared second on the list. Now ‘bi’ doesn’t show birds in the top ten. Typing ‘bir’ doesn’t even show birds in the top 12, and even when I type ‘bird’, birds is number 8 in the list.
Given how often I (and I suspect others) want to search for birds, I agree it would be useful to have them higher on the list.

4 Likes

This was likely related to the recent upgrade. Does it look any better now?

4 Likes

My phone suggestions are much better now. “d…” is for Dicots, “an…” yields Animalia, then Angiospermae.
I don’t pay close enough attention to the suggestions lists to know what else has changed off the top of my head. It does seem different than before the update, could be only perception, but it’s fine.

2 Likes

Yes, it does behave like pre-update now, thanks!

1 Like

Yep, birds are back where they were. Thanks.

1 Like