What species should we clean up in the future?

Google lens can be quite useful sometimes, it has helped me identify misidentifications in the past.

Be careful using it however, it can put various species under a different species name (For example, a Doris tiger moth as an Arge moth)

Yes, identifications from Google Lens should not be entered as a user’s identification unless they themselves can confirm it on their own expertise. It’s fine to use Google Lens (or similar tool like the iNat CV) as a starting point and work on your own from there.

1 Like

In my case, it’s usually tropical garden plants that I am familiar with, but the name slips my mind. Once I see the visual search results, the name clicks.

3 Likes

Ugh, me too but tropical everything.

(Are you there, iNat CV? ItsMeLucy.)

4 Likes

Google lens can be quite useful sometimes, it has helped me identify misidentifications in the past.

I think that while Google Lens could be useful, I honestly don’t recommend using it unless you think that it is personally correct. Once, it showed spearmint as a mountain mint so be careful.

I dont use google lens for misidentifications often, i use it as a “clue” so i may get something from it but it is like wikipedia - anyone can do anything, so it is not reliable.

2 Likes

I use it to get a name of the organisms I have no clue about. There will be several recommendations of the possible species. Then I use wikipedia to read the articles or Google the names, and click the tab to Google Images to view the pictures. It is an independent source of information from iNat’s archive I think. It is the same, not very accurate for the least observed species but useable for species common on the other side of the world which I’ve never heard of.The other day I found a not real picture observation on iNat when I use a Google search and lots of the same picture pop up.

3 Likes

I’m somewhat confused. Are you new to iNaturalist or is this a second account created for this annotation effort? (If so, has it been cleared with staff?)

“Projects” on iNat have a special meaning – they are a way to collect observations based on particular criteria. Since you’re not using the project to put observations in the “to-do” list, it seems like some other format for coordinating annotation activities might be more effective. For example, a group chat or a dedicated forum thread (like the #IdentiFriday thread) where users can post on their progress or ask if anyone wants to help with a particular effort.

I’m also a bit confused why, in the project journal, users are asked to report misidentifications they find rather than simply adding the correct ID themselves – this is, after all, how the community ID is meant to work. Reviewing annotations also seems like a rather inefficient duplication of effort, given the large percentage of observations that are lacking annotations. The fact that there is no way to correct annotations is not ideal, but I think we generally have to assume that they are right most of the time and anyone using the data for research will have to perform their own checks. Simply not annotating anything you are unsure about seems like a good way to reduce error, also.

Is it possible this is for a school project and the reporting is meant for student accountability? Transparency would help if that is the case (because different suggestions may be relevant depending on the context in which the annotation effort is taking place).

4 Likes

I would have to clear it with staff to make a forum like that, as it could be interpreted as a promotion

This is mostly for the statistics - I am going to be doing “Reports” on species we complete
(We ask our annotators to add the correct ID in any case)

This is mostly for statistics - it does not take very long.

No, this is not for a school project. The reporting part is meant for future “studies” i am going to be doing on species we have annotated.

Summary : We do plan to move the project to some other format, such as the forum, for the reasons you pointed out and because the project method is a bit inefficient.

Not really, we have a project for iding, that’s normal.

We are not sure if we are allowed to make a forum post like you are suggesting, but we will contact staff to find out.

1 Like

From their iNat profile: This account is being used for identifying and annotating - I do not plan to add many observations to this account.

I think that indicates it is a second account specifically for the purposes of the project.

I think I must be extremely confused about projects, though. Are project members unable to dialogue on a project page itself? I.e is that the need for a thread on the forum specific to project members only?

(Asking it here because I am not a member of the project and the most recent thread is clear about whom they wish to use the thread and for what.)

ItsMeLucy, you can post on the thread, but only if you have questions about the project

I’ve administered several projects, so I think I’m correct when I say that official iNat Projects allow the flow of information from the Project via journal posts, but that the only ways for Project members (or anyone, really) to ask a question or make a comment or communicate in any way are to coordinate with Project leaders to create a journal post, or to comment on an existing journal post in the Project, or to write separate private messages to everyone they want to reach.

Many times those are perfectly fine and workable communication channels, but they are not easy, day-to-day, back-and-forth channels.

1 Like

I’m having trouble seeing why a second account would be necessary for the purposes of this annotation effort, or what possible advantage there would be in keeping these activities separate from one’s original account.

Also this, from an earlier thread:

Again, maybe there are compelling reasons for doing things a specific way in this case, but transparency seems like it would be helpful and preempt possible misunderstandings.

2 Likes

I asked a few days ago and did not get a response but I think maybe that is the response?

As @tiwane says - only ONE account for iNat

1 Like

This is my only account for iNaturalist.

This is the response

2 Likes

I think it is important to say: I have seen actual published books that have a picture of a juvenile Sabal palmetto – too young to have developed a trunk – captioned as Serenoa repens.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.