What to do about increase in sick saskatoons

So I’ve been noticing large groups of rust fungus (Gymnosporangium nelsonii I believe) infected saskatoons in the past two years (southern Alberta). (though, I only began taking notice of plants in the past two years so I’m not sure about fluctuation).

But the amount of infections I am seeing does not seem, normal. I see more infected plants than healthy ones, and its the whole plant, almost all berries and leaves have this fungus on them. I was wondering if any professional environmentalist/plant epidemiologists had any ideas on where to start investigating this? I think starting a project on here might be a good start but I’m not sure if it should be just documenting infected saskatoons and if that would skew any data.

I tried contacting a restoration ecologist from Edmonton and she told me to try contacting the city landscapers and they straight up didn’t respond (not that I’d really know what to ask them I guess).

1 Like

I’m not an expert on plant diseases and might be qualified at all to give a good answer, but here’s my opinion:

If indeed *Gymnosporangium nelsonii then this is a native fungus to N America that has a relationship with the Saskatoons (Amelanchier sp., I presume). I’ve observed rusts on serviceberries in the NE and there seem to be some years where they’re very common, some where they’re not. Many organisms have cyclical cycles. I don’t think native pathogens, especially “rusts” tend to permanently negatively impact populations because they’ve been at this song and dance a long time. A higher frequency of infection might also be a symptom of some other stressor, like drought or pollution than anything else.

There’s also the possibility that you’re noticing them more frequently. However, observation is important. I think it’s perfectly fine and appropriate to make a project for this phenomenon and upload observations of the rust.

Usually by the time infection is apparent there’s no real treatment. And like I said before, this might not be abnormal at all. Unless I knew for certain I wouldn’t be reaching out to landscapers that may spray harmful substances in futile.

5 Likes

I would look to the biology department faculty of your nearest relevant university. They, or their students, might be interested or know more.

2 Likes

Yeah, I personally don’t trust the city landscapers know what they’re doing in general, nevermind the environmental repercussions

ill look into it, i need to apply for school soon anyway i could use this for a school project or something, two birds one stone

ill also make the project, why not ig

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.