Why is it that those of us who get really into our IDs, cringe on the inside when someone misidentifies something that you consider an easy ID sometimes?

Of course they’re bugs, they fly right? They’re ugly and hairy right?

4 Likes

We all have different opinions about whether or not something is “ugly” or not, many people, including myself, find bats to be very interesting and cool creatures. And I wouldn’t say that they are ugly at all.

3 Likes

carabid: that’s a quote from the Calvin & Hobbes comic strip you were referencing earlier. Or part of that series anyway. Calvin is talking to Hobbs and insisting that bats are bugs because they fly, they’re ugly, and they’re hairy.

My kids are rereading my old C&H comics and we just read that one last night so weird coincidence seeing it pop up here

4 Likes

Hm, I don’t remember that, where Calvin is explaining it to Hobbes I mean. But I do remember reading the part where he is in the front of is class, giving his bat report, and the class yells at him that bats aren’t bugs, and he the shouts back “Look, who’s giving the report? You chowderheads, or ME?!” See strip below, I think it will show up…

Anyways, I’ll have to reread my Calvin and Hobbes collection again, as I haven’t read it in almost two years!
I just finished “Wagontongue,” by Elmer Kelton, so I might as well start tonight, and probably have it finished in a day or so. IF you like “Calvin and Hobbes,” I suggest “FoxTrot,” by Bill Amend if you don’t already know of it. Have a good night!(or day, I’m not sure which timezone you’re in)

I wonder if this counts as going off topic… : )

Best from Oregon,
Connor

4 Likes

it is wandering off topic, but there’s a thread for nature related comics here:
Nature-inspired Comics?

2 Likes

Not to worry, that’s not my opinion, but it is Calvin’s https://www.google.com/search?q=calvin+and+hobbes+bats+are+bugs&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjtlMX42YfwAhUDNa0KHR55Aq0Q2-cCegQIABAA&oq=calvin+and+hobbes+bats+are+bugs&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzoCCABQwpADWLGkA2DhpQNoAHAAeACAAV2IAcQFkgEBOZgBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=sRl8YK34MIPqtAWe8onoCg&bih=760&biw=1536&client=firefox-b-1-d

Yes, it’s going off topic, but since I’m always right about everything I deem it acceptable (and funny)!

5 Likes

: )
Calvin and Hobbes collection turned out to be a much quicker read than I remember…

Yeah, we should probably get back on-topic next time someone replies…

@astra_the_dragon That link really made my day! Thanks for the link!
Oh, and this was awesome!

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s just carelessness A plant and an animal with the same genus name, and someone picks one when they mean the other. Which means it gets bumped back to State of Matter Life when the next person gives the correct ID. But it could be so easily avoided if people would turn off the autopilot and look at their ID before clicking “Done.”

It is like the people who say, “I do my best proofreading right after clicking ‘send.’” What they mean, of course, is that they do their only proofreading after clicking ‘send.’

2 Likes

It’s because of the overinflated ego that comes along with learning a new fact. Classic Dunning-Kruger effect. Nothing is more innately primal, and human, than the need to prove you are the best at what you do. Cringing at a person, who’s knowledge you may only have recently surpassed, is a natural response to our natural need to be superior.

For instance, I’m cringing at this post, and most of these comments. However, I am also super annoying sometimes and suffer from an grandiose sense of self importance. All about perspective! Cringe less, talk less, listen more, help more, and be less of… this.

7 Likes

Well, it’s all about attitude, feeling one is one thing, saying it to a person is totally different.

4 Likes

He could get a job in a British railway ticket office. There is a story of a man asking if he needed a ticket for his parrot and he was told “Cats is dogs and rabbits is dogs, but birds is insects and theres no charge for them”.

5 Likes

I mean, yes. One of the most embarrasing mistakes I made as of now was mixing up borage and a Loasaceae. Just because the flowers look similar sidewise… well, um…
But I think that’s a very, very useful opportunity to learn more. I’m not really a proffesional on botany but… I try…

2 Likes

This is the best explanation I’ve ever seen!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.