Why is the AI so bad on my computer, but good on my phone?

Hello everyone,
I often use the AI to check my identifications and see if there’s a look-alike I hadn’t considered. It’s great on my phone- but horrible on my computer.
For example, if I click “suggestions” when looking at a tuliptree flower, it will suggest white-tailed deer.
I’m assuming that this is because of something I’m doing (or not doing!)
Any advice?

1 Like

hi @mmmmbugs, can you provide some examples or screenshots?

1 Like

Is it more than the phone default being “visually similar” and the computer default being “seen nearby” (with taxa=life)?

1 Like

It’s the other way though, phone photos with gps data result with using “seen nearby” which is much better than just visually similar.

2 Likes

When you click on the Compare tool, the default Source is set to Observations (meaning nearby observations). Set it to Visually Similar to get AI suggestions. It took me a while to get that. Make sure to also play with the Taxon and Place options to expand your search.

7 Likes

I used to have the similar problem. But I realized that AI on computers has more filters than smartphones, and sometimes this causes AI recommendations weird. So make sure you play with these filters.

Perfect- I knew I must be missing something!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.