Wild Edible Mushrooms in the U.S

I am a mushroom hunter who is always looking for more mushroom species to eat. I don’t know as many edible mushrooms as I would like to know, so I am always searching for more information. If you know of any edible mushrooms in the United States, please let me know.

That is such a broad question because some mushrooms are specific to different regions. Honestly it would be easier to buy a guide for the area you live in.

Welcome to the forum!
I think almost every county in the United States has a county extension office that could help, and each state has a Department of Natural Resources office that could help, some offer classes and hikes, too.

1 Like

Thanks for the help! I’ll start looking into hikes or books that could teach me about edilble mushrooms.

2 Likes

Look up the site for the North American Mycological Association (NAMA) and look up your local mushroom club. Also, there are a lot of excellent mushroom groups on facebook that have good identifiers to bounce stuff off of.

Edibility is generally not something i discuss much on inat l, mind, and i would caution you to never trust observation IDs conclusively without independently verifying that they are correct.

4 Likes

But depending on where you live, be prepared to interpret “local” rather broadly. The nearest one to me that I have been able to find is almost three hour’s drive one-way.

I have an old mushroom book – Common Edible Mushrooms by Clyde Christensen, published 1943 – which describes what he calls “the Foolproof Four.” They are Morels, Puffballs, Sulfur Shelf, and Shaggymane. If you don’t yet know these, they would be a good set to learn. But I would question how “foolproof” they really are; some people confuse False Morels with Morels, for instance, and I have seen iNaturalist observations of the Giant Stalked-puffball misidentified as Shaggymane.

This is probably why The Mushroom Expert website states that it contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of any mushroom.

@danielwinkler has quite a lot of information about edible mushrooms, along with gorgeous photos, on his website and in his books . He also provides classes and mushroom tours.

I think I recall he suggests ways of detoxifying certain mushrooms - say, by how they are cooked (not all mushrooms, just specific ones he discusses)

Wild Mushroaming

samples of his info here: Fruits of the Forest - Edible Mushrooms of…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.