"Wild" vs. "planted" vs. "naturalized"

this is great and matches my thoughts too

1 Like

Great! I’ve had to explain it in text so many times, and it’s never straightforward. So hopefully this helps some folks.

It’s about as unbiased as possible. Personally, I find the distinction between “wild” and “naturalized” is pretty marginal. It just refers to whether the species naturally occurs at the given location or not. Even native species might become naturalized in another part of the state or county that they aren’t originally from.

4 Likes

It’s also really hard to use, there’re tons of plants that traveled with humans around Europe (and knowing how even a thousand years ago one person could walk through multiple countries in a couple of years), so you really can have little idea if they originated where they’re found now, withut studying it, and many sp. called native to the region on iNat are actually not that native, but then there’s a question of how many years ago is enough to be called natural expansion.

It doesn’t really distinguish on whether the species you are trying to classify is native or not. Only the recent provenance. If you have any examples that still seem confusing or hard to classify, let me know.

1 Like

Well, I have little idea about naturalized term overall, other than what people wrote here, which is controversial at times, if it’s only about recent “newcomers”, then it kinda simplifies it, but really, if it is here for 300 years only, isn’t it naturalized too?

Well, naturalized implies that a species was not known before a clear point of human-aided introduction. And yes, some species have been around for hundreds of years, from an original introduction. But if that introduction is known, regardless of how long ago it was, that species is not native. It’s still considered naturalized.

The catch? If a species was not recorded to be introduced, there’s really nothing you can do but give it benefit of the doubt that it is native. So the term isn’t infallible, it just represents what we know about species “nativity”, rather than what we don’t know. Sometimes though genetics can tell the origin, based on where the most related species are normally found. There are other ways, too. But not always!

2 Likes

That kinda proves what I feel about it, you need knowledge about whole species to imply that status for your iNat observation, and can not know some facts about it, so it’s not something all regular users would have been able to use as it’s much harder than what we have now.

That’s exactly what it is. But if you don’t know, there’s usually ample ways to find out by researching the species. Local guides, internet, and so on. It’s never been a straight-forward concept, really. But worst case there’s people you can ask for second opinions, so it’s not a problem if you mark something incorrectly as native.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, what about plants used for restoration - for example, a meadow that has been seeded in a nature preserve/protected area for the purposes of restoring that site to either a historic state or other wildlife goal, using plants that are technically native to the region but are either rare or have no nearby known populations? Such as how many sites now are restored for pollinators using species like Heliopsis helianthoides, Monarda fistulosa, Ratibida pinnata, etc, which are technically native to New York (for example, where I am) but are rarely encountered in the wild here. These meadows persist and become self-sustaining with generations of the original transplants/seeds, with the management goal of making a ‘wild’ meadow as wildlife habitat. Will this entire habitat never be wild? Unless one is aware of those management activities and the status of the species involved, casual observers aren’t likely to know that the large meadows all around them aren’t wild. Whenever I go to a nature preserve and see one of these plants growing seemingly in the wild, even just a couple individuals, I always have serious doubts that it’s there from a ‘wild’ or original, never-planted population. What about if the meadows were seeded with species that are more common in local habitats, with locally collected seeds, in some ways facilitating dispersal?
I am just curious about this, as much of my own fieldwork takes place in these sorts of restoration sites, particularly restored wetlands on state and federal lands that are managed with the intent of mimicking natural species assemblages and conditions present prior to human disturbance, or to enhance them for wildlife food production using native species in specific proportions (which may or may not have ever been planted), with the long-term goal being restoring self-sufficient functionality that no longer requires human management to persist. In many cases here, if the plants were not managed or cared for, the ‘wild’ that would come in would be invasive plants, thus reaching a wild state in the present day would include allowing exotics to populate alongside the natives, which undermines conservation goals, which can include establishing new populations of keystone or rare species as a source of seeds, genetic diversity, etc, for true wild populations.
I do grapple with all of this! What difficulties arise in assigning conservation status, or even determining ranges, of plants when it may no longer be easy to tell where a plant ‘originally’ grew in a region, with so many populations originating, at some point, from planted individuals?

1 Like

if they self-sustain they have become wild but, on the other hand, they should not be considered native in a strict sense, especially if these plantations are made starting with accessions that are not from the same area.

1 Like

If we talk about current state of iNat all seeded and planted ones are not wild, but all the new ones are wild, if you’re not sure about it I doubt there’s a big problem in leaving them as wild. It’s not any different than any other replanted area in the world, just harder to find out what was planted and what wasn’t if restoration was well done. If invasives are exterminated, the whole area is managed, but not individual plants, so that alone doesn’t make them captive.

It’s a fascinating question. If a plant has not been documented to occur in a particular county, but it has been documented in a county, say, to the west, and then someone seeds a field in which that plant becomes established as a reproducing population, does that become a new county record and range extension. I’d have to say, yes! There are many historical instances of this sort of thing and we see those newer locations as part of the current distribution of the plant in published range maps. Often times, it’s not documented that such plantings took place so it’s impossible to tell if the range extension is human-mediated or not.

Yes there are always going to be unknowns. Many plants are changing their ranges naturally, so a new county record could be the result of natural spread. Though many of the changes are attributed to climate change so some would argue they are not natural.

On the other hand, seed mixes will contain contaminants not on the contents list, so a species that turns up unexpectedly in a restored site could be an unintended introduction.

Re old hay meadows, farmers have been reseeding for centuries, so what we value as an ancient meadow with its original flora could just be reflecting what was in the sack of seed bought in the 19th century.

4 Likes

Just for fun: What if I have a rare native plant in my yard, and then I sell that property and move to the next county over where the species wasn’t previously known (or was it?), but I inadvertently carried some seeds on my shoe, and it got established in my new yard one county away, but then I decided to move back to my old home, by which time the new owner had stripped the yard of all native vegetation, so I grab some seeds of the transplanted plants in that second home and bring them back and plant them in the first yard, but then we have a big winter freeze that wipes out the newly reseeded plants, but the species shows up the next spring from seeds in the ground of unknown origin. What are they considered? ;-)

Just kidding!!

4 Likes

You say just kidding but there’s definitive answers to all of those.

2 Likes

Okay, let’s see…

Wild.

Wild.

Cultivated.

Wild.

4 Likes

Wild Native vs Wild Naturalized absolutely matters in the ecological sense, but it’s not really relevant to iNat users.

Anyone working in ecology looking at the species mix will know or be able to reference which species are native vs naturalized in said areas, and if they run across a species that’s not native they’ll know that it’s a non-native and needs to be investigated further.

The subject is complex and nuanced enough that it should be left to experts, not general iNat users.

The Native tag is far more useful over all with reference to iNat users.

4 Likes

I am pretty bored by these statements that seem to express a point of view in the name of all iNat users.
NB: I am not blaming you in particular.

2 Likes

well, it isn’t something we should be asking all of the users to tag on observations, that’s for sure.

3 Likes

It’s not a statement about a point of view for iNat users, it’s a statement about the fact that the average iNat user doesn’t have the background to be making determinations like that.

There are certainly iNat users who do have the requisite backgrounds to do so, but expecting the average user to have that level of specific knowledge and to apply it properly is asking a lot.

An example, these are all terms that are commonly used, which ones are applicable to a given species? Which ones nest inside each other? Which ones are redundant? Which ones are legal terms vs biological terms?

• Native
  • Introduced
  • Wild
  • Cultivated
  • Exotic
  • Non-native
  • Alien
  • Adventive species
  • Naturalized
  • Invasive
  • Invasive native
  • Endemic
  • Noxious
  • Prohibited
  • Restricted

It’s asking a lot of users to expect them to be up to date on the exact status of each species they encounter and what subset of terms it falls under.

3 Likes