Worst Inaturalist Experiences Ever

Not at the time, I was too freaked out. Did so more recently. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/56273611

Well I had one this year. I am a Texas Master Naturalist and this year the chapters in the DFW area hosted a Bioblitz that was just to boost our hour collection and to give us a chance to get the public involved in citizen science. That week seemed to be the worst week. One day I went to the Village Creek Drying Beds and I was out watching the birds. At one part I squatted down and then I was watching for birds. I was talking with my mother while I was by the grass she was on the phone with me. I then feel something tickling and then I feel sharp pains in my legs, and my lower back. I look down and I am covered with hundreds of fire ants. I got them all off but it took a while I was in pain most of that day. I had over thirty stings and it was a bummer I had to cut the observations short. I went home took a Benadryl and laid down the rest of the day. A few days before that I was still doing the DFW challenge and I went to a local park at Cliff Nelson Rec Center. I was out there for a while looking for Dragonflies. I can along the bend to the tree that is right in the pond and under it was a Muscovy Duck. This duck was possibly dropped there and was not happy. It wound up attacking me. It was biting my shoes and chased me and was just really going at me like ugly on an ape. He didn’t do a lot of damage but he did get my leg pretty good with the sharp part of his bill. He had chased dogs and attacked a kid in reports I got from a friend who had heard of that duck. Things just didn’t add up that week for some reason. I never seem to run into hazards like this. It was not the worst time but those things didn’t make me feel good. It was a mess. Not to mention but I went to Bob Jones and was almost bowled over by three White-tailed Deer coming out of the tree line. If I had been a foot further I would have been trampled. It was just a crazy week that week. Got a lot of good stuff but still it was chaos. I never really had a truly negative experience with iNaturalist. For the most part it has been really positive. A few years ago I did wind up getting my beat sheet pooped on by a bird but it was easy to clean. But other than that I would consider the ants to be the worst thing I have come around but I have been out at the Village Creek Drying Beds and I a lot of times this month and have not had anymore nasty run ins. I always watch where I step now. It is like a mine field out there with fire ant mounds. So all in all everything panned out but these were some of my most crazy outings.

5 Likes

If you delete something from the sd-card you can use one of file recovery programs, they’re working perfectly as long as you didn’t use the card since the deletion (deleted photos are not shown for a user, but they’re still in the card memory, but their sectors are marked to be ready for overwriting).

4 Likes

When you want to take a bird photo, you silently approach it, and you get close enough to take a photo of the animal’s eye shine, then a mosquito bites you and you immediately stir and/or scream and the bird’s gone. Never happened to me, as the mosquitos prevent me from approaching the bird itself :mosquito: :mosquito: :mosquito: :mosquito: :mosquito: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

3 Likes

Oh yes!

2 Likes

Another experience: I realized that just after I left home, a bird I think I have never seen before (doesn’t count as my iNat observation though photos exist) turned up on a tree. I just missed it! :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:

1 Like

Reminds me of how I got my worst sunburn ever. I was taking summer field classes in college (in Louisiana) and that day we went pretty far out into the Gulf of Mexico to fish at an oil rig (pump station). I should put the photo of the 50lb black drum I caught on iNat.

On the way back some of us were hanging out on the bow because there wasn’t enough seating elsewhere. I didn’t remember to re-apply my sunscreen and fell asleep out there. I had my hat over my face and my arms are very tan, but I don’t wear shorts very often so my pasty thighs got the brunt of it (my knees were bent putting my calves in the shade).

3 Likes

This past weekend, I was hiking on Table Mountain. It was an 8 hour hike and towards the end I was obviously getting a little fatigued. I was moving down back to Kasteelpoort (a trail on Table Mountain. This was when I spotted a snake resting on the bushes almost immediately to my right. Almost at the same time, the snake saw me and sped off into the vegetation before I could take a picture! It was a long snake too, about a metre to a metre and a half long, and very dark in colour.

Aaaahhhhhh … all the times I’ve hiked on the Cape Peninsula and mountains in the general vicinity, and this was the first time I saw a snake of any kind in the fynbos.

Hopefully I will have better luck next time!

5 Likes

Don’t get too attached to gifs, though: https://github.com/inaturalist/iNaturalistAndroid/issues/970

Found an interesting occurrence of a native vine in dense forest near the edge of a shallow stream, the bank a couple of metres high here, and unstable…ie native plants could be damaged if I climbed up the bank.

Approaching the vine from its side of the stream, I crept down to the edge of the bank, hung onto a tree and got my camera out of its pouch on my belt. “Better put the wrist strap on, especially this near the edge of the bank”, I thought. Trying to slip the strap over my wrist, I dropped the camera into the stream.

Found the quickest way I could down the bank, fished around in muddy water and found the camera, took the battery and SD card out and opened all the little doors on the camera, dried it in the sun then in a hot water cupboard in a bag of dry rice for 2 weeks before turning it on.

It was not a waterproof one but it did work perfectly after this.

Unfortunately a thin film of sediment inside the lens makes the images dull now, and the lens can’t be removed.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.