You know you're seriously into iNat when

Where I live I get a species diversity in the winter versus summer:
1/4 the diversity of birds versus May, 1/3 versus summer
< 1/100 the diversity of insects
1/10 the diversity of plants
No herps
1/2 the diversity of lichens (depends on the amount of snow on the ground, tree lichens & rock cliffs less affected)

Dangerous weather is rare at anytime. I remember a microburst with winds up to 120 km/h. We got the tail end of the Quebec mega ice storm, last year had a record number of forest fires, this year there is some flooding.

We get a few days where it is hot, sometimes over 30 Celsius.

Very little dangerous animals/plants … black bears are rarely seen, giant hogweed has not gotten this far north yet, poison ivy is uncommon, ticks are rare, yellowjackets and bees a slight risk.

4 Likes

You notice a strange insect in your apple just before you bite it and your only thought is getting a photo and submitting it to iNat.

6 Likes

…you are looking for the tiny snake you flushed when you’re distracted by a moth, then by a descending caterpillar, then by a red admiral, then by tiny grasshopper then by a leaf insect…which you finally managed to focus on and photograph for an observation. You might not have noticed all of those things if you weren’t so observation-minded

13 Likes

…you take the kids to the zoo and spend all your time looking in the corners of the enclosures for native critters from cockroaches to vultures.

21 Likes

You notice half!

and wonder if it’s enough to ID!

17 Likes

…you get $300 worth of Amazon gift cards for your birthday and you eagerly spend it ALL on digiscoping equipment so your smartphone can take “way” better iNat-worthy photos that can immediately be download straight to the app

10 Likes

…you have a bioblitz at your wedding: https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/the-alison-ivan-wedding-project :joy:

39 Likes

I don’t know you, but I love you! :rofl: that’s the only kind of wedding I’d probably want attend…Black muckboots optional? Was there a receiving line where everyone just showed each other specimen jars and leaf cuttings, “Congratulations! …Oh, how cool is that?”

9 Likes

Ha, I’m just amazed I had the time to actually go out and make some observations too! :laughing: Most impressive was that my sister & brother-in-law spotted a great gray owl the day before the wedding, and there was enough excitement about from wedding attendees that the two of them led a 7am bird walk for a bunch of our guests the morning after the wedding to see if they could spot it again!

16 Likes

You are all my people!

7 Likes

You can’t pass a mulched planting without checking for fungi and slime molds.

10 Likes

You had 78 days with observations in a row? Wow!

5 Likes

The wedding will be hard to beat as a “seriously into.” Unless someone has named a child iNat?

4 Likes

Just checking in…anyone give birth (or adopt!) since @biosam commented? :wink:

4 Likes

…you realize that saying, “I use this awesome citizen science app” doesn’t even begin to explain your obsession (ahem…enthusiastic involvement) with iNat and you struggle to explain just how amazing the potential of this whole thing is. (sorry, not that funny…just sincere)

12 Likes

That is really funny. Thanks for the laugh!

1 Like

#relationshipgoals

2 Likes

I should have mentioned we were specifically discussing cardiovascular benefits. I’m sure he is aware of the other health benefits :-)

3 Likes

These all apply to me and I thank you all for the chuckles and awesome reminders why we love this so much. iNat is definitely a verb for me too :).
A couple more to share:

…you’re hiking with friends or just walking up to the local coffee joint and you throw your arms out yelling at everyone with you to stop moving because there is a bird, spider, lizard, butterfly, etc. You grab your smart phone or handy camera (almost always with me nowadays) and try for the safety shot, then creep closer for the better angles and less blurry photos.

…make sure you’re at the front of a hike so no one will scare the critters away before you iNat them.

…point out raptors on every tree, telephone pole, and streetlight along the highway or road you are traveling on.

…warn family or friends you will be stopping for any potential new additions to species list.

…absolutely plan travel to new places with plenty of time set aside to properly iNat thereby seeing the wild and urban nature there.

10 Likes

…you realize everyone here most likely read that and knew with precision what was meant but also what the state of mind is of someone prioritizing such photos. You also know the unique frustration and, dare I say, existential struggle, of having brief bouts of overconfidence and approaching the subject too quickly thus not getting the sacred “safety shot.” No shot= Arrrgggg.

17 Likes