You know you're seriously into iNat when

My doctor told me that - completely ignored her. I might be a little stubborn.

3 Likes

You realize you’ve developed a time-filling workflow ritual when loading “Gerald

open ob, wait.
open second window of iNat while waiting, check notifications, respond to comments, keep waiting, check on loading progress with Gerald, wait a little more.
open forum in a new window, wait.
have six conversations between forum and other iNat window, use the bathroom, get distracted in the kitchen/outside/anywhere/everywhere, wait.
realize an hour later that you opened Gerald and forgot, face palm, toggle to Gerald. Make bad jokes, feel grateful to be a part of this ever-so-wonderful community, wash, rinse, repeat :)

12 Likes

… when you get notified about new comments on Geralds fanpage, read them, enjoy them, switch to the forum here, realize a new post has been added to the ‘You know you’re seriously into iNat when’ topic, wonder about whether it might be Gerald-related - and don’t get dissappointed :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

When you’re bored at work so you look up all the goldenrod species found in your area (42!) and begin creating your own identification key. :nerd_face:

17 Likes

You find a (thankfully unattached and unfed) tick crawling under your shirt, and after grabbing it in a tissue, your first thought is, “I should put this in a bug jar and photograph it for iNaturalist!”

17 Likes

…you like to visit cemeteries because you never know what you’ll find in the dark, unkempt corners.

11 Likes

Old headstones can be great for finding lichens!

7 Likes

A lot of the plant collection projects I have been involved with are titled “Life in the Gisborne Botanical Gardens” etc… maybe not appropriate for a cemetery :) ?

2 Likes

Botrychium!

2 Likes

… you spend more on a camera ($500) than you ever have before because you want to get better photos of birds to add to iNat.

… you seriously consider buying a second camera that takes better macro photos because insects.

All true.

18 Likes

It’s surprising what I’ve found in cemeteries. Bird nests full of little ones, lichens, bee hives and my favorite spot to find Western Screech and Northern Saw-whet Owls.

10 Likes

Same with me! How do you hatch them out/cultivate them?

1 Like

I keep them in plastic or glass vials with some moisture. And those vials in a box outside in the garden. Check out the phantastic blog by Charley Eiseman for some inspiration :-)
–> https://bugtracks.wordpress.com/rearing/

4 Likes

Lichens are everywhere in cemeteries, especially on older headstones

2 Likes

You’re quite happy when flies appear in the restaurant, because you can photo them for iNaturalist!

11 Likes

kind of depends on where the flies are…looking at me, half-cooked, in a forkful approaching my chompers? not so much, not just yet. I’m not yet into accidental wings in my wings, though i look forward to trying some buffalo hot mealworms one day!

9 Likes

One landed on my finger and I took a quick picture of it before it flew away:

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/35150840

4 Likes

42 goldenrod species?! Southern Appalachians?

2 Likes

When you go on iNat runs (just walk and photograph everything) but you happen to be a city so you’re run is a pet store! :rofl:

5 Likes

Best thing I’ve had in a cemetery was a Whooping Crane (on migration), definitely a shock!

3 Likes