You know you're seriously into iNat when

Especially when it adds a new phylum to the personal list :+1:t3:

2 Likes

I don’t know why but i’m going to remember " Cytisus scoparius " for the rest of my life maybe cos I spend so much time pulling it out on Quail Island

2 Likes

But was your search successful?!

1 Like

Quite so. And I found quite a variety of species too.

3 Likes

Lucky! I only get Painted Turtles and maybe someone’s escaped slider.

1 Like

Well I’m in Texas where there’s a decent variety of species. I get Sliders, Snappers, and the occasional map. My county also has the puzzle of determining whether I’m looking as a Texas Cooter or a River Cooter as the populations meet in my area.

3 Likes

You learn how to spell difficult words because you’ve had to type them out all the time for garden plants, like chysanthemum, hydrangea, etc.

10 Likes

There’s a place on iNat that covers a good number of US highway rest areas: https://www.inaturalist.org/places/us-highway-rest-areas-work-in-progress

8 Likes

At 4 AM you find the iNaturalist site is down, and your first thought is “what will happen to my multi-day observation streak?”

8 Likes

Borrow Tony’s time-travelling device
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/hypothetical-solutions-to-keeping-my-streak-alive-silliness/9253/55
:)

2 Likes

… you get twitchy walking past fruiting grass because you’ve been learning how to ID them and want to upload them to iNat, and I mean does it really matter if you’re five more minutes late to calculus?

17 Likes

When you’ve had a really stressful day then you go outside and start taking pics for iNat and you suddenly relax and start feeling way better.

17 Likes

It probably matters to you’re professor (but I think like that as I walk to work in the mornings - I resist the urge cause I need the job, lol).

3 Likes

… you laugh about a meme with an owl a good friend forwarded to you - and than tell them that it shows a different species than the meme allegedly does. And your friend replies: “Of course…”
(For readers speaking German: a flying owl depicted as “Huhu”, wordplay on “Uhu” - Eurasian Eagle-Owl - “saying hello”. But the meme showed a Northern Hawk Owl. Which I have observed twice, and both times I will never forget.)

11 Likes

I’ll trade you one pair of pine warblers if you can offer a new-to-me warbler from your yard! (For humor purposes only…no warblers were harmed in the making of this terrible joke)

4 Likes

I dunno… I laughed! I’m trying to imagine anyone wanting my mynahs!

4 Likes

Anyone, they’re adorable!

3 Likes

You see a picture of some animals and think about uploading it to iNaturalist, then realise it’s a random windows lock screen photo of some wildebeest.

5 Likes

More that they’re just so “common”, as in they are everywhere here in Gisborne… Easier to get observations of than seagulls!

2 Likes

I was told we had a small population of escaped birds in Moscow for quite many years before one winter was too harsh for them to survive.

2 Likes