You know you're seriously into iNat when

They’re always handy to have. I rescued this square-headed wasp from the dairy section of a local grocery store and was happy to have had the chance to take a couple of photos as it warmed up.

10 Likes

Thank you. I just remembered that before I discovered iNat, I posted a pic of a grackle inside a grocery store to Facebook. It has the date and location, so I could definitely add it to iNat.

7 Likes

…the first thing you think of when you have to go to the hospital is whether you’ll be able to keep up your daily observation streak (i’ve kept it up for 261 days so far, so it would be a shame to miss one ;) )

…you end up making almost 100 observations on the hospital grounds in the two days you are there, including an iNat first leafminer!

11 Likes

Maybe a little off topic but when you observe a species with no common name so you look up the Latin translation and realize why it has no common name. Because who’s going to go around calling it a Finger-bearing Grasshopper. :laughing:

10 Likes

First: Hope that you’re okay now

Second: I recently did this: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/55190065 so kudos to you. Apologies if I’m repeating myself.

5 Likes

Frustrated again!! Small, socially distanced barbecue in the back yard. Yellowjackets start investigating the hamburgers. I slip into the house for my camera. In the minute it took me to return, the others have covered the meat and discouraged the wasps. No iNaturalist photos!

14 Likes

Painful :persevere:

2 Likes

… when the first thing you do every morning is to take an observation so you don’t forget to keep up your daily streak.

8 Likes

Ha. Yes to all of these (and I had a dream about slime-mold last night!).

“For Science!” :grinning:

11 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @spinyurchin! And…to your people :)

5 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

And when you iNat all the bugs that you find drowned around the edges of the free city swimming pool!

9 Likes

When visiting people with pools that has become my favored activity! Also pulling moths out of the creeks once and a while too :)

8 Likes

For Science! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeydjADyM7U

1 Like

I tried that, there is a lot more than you expect!

iNat can be a real addiction! It truly makes me look forward to the growing season. And yes, I have found myself getting distracted when I see something to identify :)

6 Likes

…You return to the same spot over a period of months to see how a plant has developed.

9 Likes

…Or every day :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I forgot about iNatting stranded marsh insects I find when tides carry them off their grassy perches…if you are able to let go of the paddle for a second (or pull them out of the water onto the kayak and paddle them in) :)

P.S. " @susanhewitt will know what this shell is!" was something I just said to myself a dozen times in the last few weeks.

3 Likes

wow that is prolific, my record is just 10% of that

4 Likes