You know you're seriously into iNat when

you should use the Quote function when replying to someone on a long topic. although in this case, using the “heart” button would have worked just as well.

3 Likes
  • Its your important year of 10th grade, and you’ve not studied a shit because you were busy whole year taking photos of butterflies and weeds to share them on iNat… (That’s me)
  • Your friends spend 5-6 hours on Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp etc, while you spend that time on iNat.
  • You’re reloading your home page every 37 sec to check for mentions or messages, just in case they don’t pop up. (I guess this one is a repeat, but then every true iNatter does this !)
  • You used to hate Biology 6 months ago, and now you’re so deep in it’s love that start thinking about making a career in it, all beacuse of a website for nature lovers made you love & appreciate beauty of nature too !
  • Take 3 hours to hike 1 km because you photograph every single bug and plant you see, cause they’re a lifer !
  • Spend 2 hours thinking what things should I include in a reply on a forum post “You know you’re seriously into iNat when…” !
22 Likes

But that’s only true when you first start into hiking. Once you have gone on several hikes in your local area, they are no longer all lifers.

3 Likes

It doesn’t change the speed though.)

7 Likes

True…:smiley:

3 Likes

Actually, at least in my case it now takes much longer because I am now looking for the lifers very very carefully and meticulously! lol

7 Likes

From the perspective of somebody who is mainly an identifier:

• …when you decide you’re going to review all 100 pages of a particular taxon, and the only thing that’ll stop you is the thought of reviewing 100 pages of another taxon,
  • …when you have to block the iNat website so you don’t spend hours identifying observations.
11 Likes

Hah! Try fungi. Go on the same trail week by week and there will be species that were not there previously while others have disappeared. Slow going indeed.

8 Likes

I’ve done the same thing, but my wife hates it, so I’ve stopped. Plus, it’s winter here. Penile frostbite is NOT a good thing.

5 Likes

Guilty :joy::joy:

7 Likes

The iNat page is down for maintenance so you’re lurking in the forum instead :)

11 Likes

yep… sigh… had to scroll back through recent browser history to find the link to forums too, cos I normally get here via iNat link :)

7 Likes

What, you mean it’s not bookmarked front and centre in the bookmarks toolbar at the top of your browser window?

5 Likes

lol… it was… but cos I mainly use the inat link and my main bookmarks bar is chocker, it got dropped into the “very important bookmarks that I will get around to sorting one day” folder. It’s still in there somewhere… but that folder is SCARY. Yeah, nah… much easier to find it in the “recently been to” page!

5 Likes

Or you feel incredibly lost because this Friday night iNaturalist is down for maintenance!

5 Likes

… you keep checking every ten seconds to see if iNat is up again so you can finish posting observations.

7 Likes

If you plan on making a career in biology, that time spent studying butterflies and weeds may come in handy when the time comes for trying to find worthy topics for college admissions essays - I wrote a few drafts about my childhood love of ants and how learning about their social structures helped my autistic brain learn about social skills more generally; and that you used to hate something you now love could also make a good topic. Universities expect you to pour your soul into their essays with the personal kinds of questions they ask, and if you don’t actually feel comfortable doing that, focusing on your interests is a good way to circumvent that.
Also I recommend that you start writing essays as early as possible because the college admissions process is brutal and if you write the essays during the summer you won’t have to balance both school and applications.
Sorry for the off-topic advice, I just thought as someone who scraped by with C’s in 10th grade and still made it into a somewhat prestigious university for biology I might be able to pass on some wisdom…

9 Likes

I think the process is kind of different here in India, though I don’t know much about it. And I actually spent my whole year studying Birds and Butterflies !

5 Likes

… when you see a patient with a fungus on nails, immediately think if its ok to add the picture on iNat fungi family?

… while you are IDing an organism, suddenly realizing that you are just trying to poke the real thing…

… when you are saying this is the last one to ID for today then i will stop and after many hours you are still keep IDing

… when you know more species names than actual words

… while you dont remember many things but you remember most of the topics/species in here

… when you get more excited to observe or ID instead of many stuff

… when people are talking, they just say :deciduous_tree: or :butterfly: or etc, your inside voice says/thinks the exact name of it

… and finally, when you know many people here, realise you dont know much about them but you know what they posted/observed/ID and still feel close to them

then probably, you are into iNat too much and i :heart: you, keep :fire: on

ps: i wonder, if somebody proposing on knee, then try to observe what is on grounds and forgot to propose, that could be hilarious lol

15 Likes

It’s the first time I hear about writing essays about your life for University, why do they ask that?

4 Likes