You know you're seriously into iNat when

I swear my mother thinks I will know every plant along the sidewalks in her neighborhood. Sure, I’m a botanist but that doesn’t mean I know every one of the thousands of plants that someone might grow in their suburban yard.

…you spent more time deciding which macro lens to buy than you did deciding which car to buy.

…your car buying decisions are heavily influenced by how well that car will get you some great new iNat observations.

17 Likes

You realize that you’ve gotten so into iNatting that you’ve somehow gone four months without playing any computer games.

You often deliberately go on walks to places with lower levels of biodiversity so that you won’t be overwhelmed by all the things you have to observe.

You take time off work to participate in the city nature challenge… and then plan a trip to somewhere outside the contest boundaries because you’ve already been to just about every greenspace in your city anyway.

13 Likes

…when your day involves a $240 tow truck bill and you are still super excited about the (new for lifelist) observations you got on the trip

10 Likes

… you have to poke the bird poop to make sure it is not a bird poop-mimicking insect.
… you can’t just take a walk or a bike ride anymore without bringing the camera bag.
… you see critters everywhere, even when it is just a shadow, a knot hole, a leaf, weird branch, etc.
… your teen rolls her eyes and groans while waiting for you take a picture of the weird moth in the carport, but you are so excited inside because she was the one that pointed it out to you.
… your teen checks and double checks that her new phone will have its own photo feed, because she does not want all of your nature photos to show up in her feed.
… you start collecting goofy gadgets for even more iNaturalist fun (trail camera, endoscope camera, bat echolocation device, black light, UV flashlight…)
… you are pretty sure your neighbors think you are crazy because you are always wandering around the yard with a camera.

20 Likes

Yes! We just bought a car and that was a big influence! LOL

1 Like

An endoscope??!! Please tell me it’s not for endoscopies!!

1 Like

Actually I was about to ask her for a recommendation. All those tunnels and crevices to explore!

2 Likes

It’s actually funny, it’s so easy to photograph birds for me but I wanna photograph more cool insects

1 Like

When you’re driving and see a really cool bird on a wire but don’t have a camera or time to stop and it’s all you think about all day.

When you live in a suburban area and frequently get asked why you keep “taking pictures of my house”

When part of your daily routine is transferring photos from your camera to your electronics to post on INat

When you look at old observations you’ve made and wonder “how did I not know what that was”

17 Likes

I have definitely done that.

7 Likes

You’re walking through the apt with a sprig of parsley for a Seder plate and you are wondering if they’re compound leaves.

16 Likes

@susanhewitt
As you come up to CNC 2019 you find yourself cursing the lack of weeds in your garden https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/northern-hemisphere-spring-2019-phenology-discussion/710/40

9 Likes

This is SO not a problem for me lol!

1 Like

me neither! But unfortunately my city is not partaking…

1 Like

…You take nearly 100 photos of a single bug, only to discover that you missed a crucial feature for ID.

…You still take photos of the most common species, because you never know, it just might be something new!

27 Likes

… being disappointed by the local Society for Nature Conservation for creating their own app instead of cooperating with iNat and making you upload the observations twice.

… taking pictures of plants you never thought you’d do while remembering the times complaining about your father photographing too many plants.

14 Likes

there are like 500 inaturalist clones out there. They always take a bunch of time and money to develop and all fizzle pretty fast. It’s a really hard thing to do regionally or on a taxon specific basis and really there’s no point anyway

17 Likes

@KitKestrel LOL not for that! It is basically a camera on the end of a tube that you can use to view inside water, bird houses, holes, etc. on the screen of your phone.

5 Likes

@janetwright I got a cheap one on Amazon for $35. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYTHWK4/

4 Likes

…you’re able to track your hikes exclusively using your very own observations
…your significant other tells you to leave that bloody magpie in peace while walking to a store

13 Likes