2021 Clements Update and Continual Concerns

Remember to add the framework relationship so that way it shows up on the framework as a match with Clements. I’ve added a couple to subspecies you’ve activated.

It looks like everything has been changed over except for cormorant species with over 1,000 downstream observations, and the Ruby-crowned Kinglet swap. I have the change all ready for the kinglet, it just needs to committed.

Taxonomic Swap 106980 (Draft) · iNaturalist

1 Like

I see many Curruca observations are stuck after split, they have 2 new updated ids, but still not RG and are marked as inactive taxon until I add another id (while they should be ok without it).

I have to add my plea here to please be careful with subspecies common names and not apply common names used for subspecies-groups to individual subspecies.

Most North American bird subspecies do not have common names that are in widespread use (or made “official” by a taxonomic authority), whereas many subspecies-groups do. That naming issue has been a real headache in the past for some incorrectly assigned common names.

2 Likes

What’s going on with the common names? In the last 72 hrs I’ve found 6+ species with zero common name, all the storm-petrel common names replaced with alternate names, subspecies for numerous taxa all mixed up and matched incorrectly, etc.

iNat for some reason is automatically making alternative names as the “common name” after swaps and splits. I’ve fixed a lot of them over the past couple days for swaps I committed.

Not sure what is going on with the names but has been happening for all the bird splits. Wasn’t sure what you meant by subspecies being mixed up?

I agree, and haven’t been adding common names to subspecies except for clearcut cases.

1 Like

There may also be some genus splits needed eg for Phalacrocorax, Amazilia etc