A big year for sassafras expansion in the northeast US?

I wondered if anyone also noticed a great expansion of Sassafras albidum stems this year. It has been a very wet year in the northeast which I’m sure is part of it. I mostly observe in the conservation lands of inner Boston suburbs, where sassafras plants are relatively rare.

1 Like

Concerning this year’s crop of new sassafras seedlings, it seems to me like any other year (at least in the places I frequent in Connecticut) What I have noticed though is a proliferation of second year trees. In some spots it’s almost a monoculture of them. I assume this is due to 2021 being incredibly wet in New England, and that translated into a bumper crop of sassafras fruit that germinated in 2022.

1 Like

I actually am thinking these are clonal sprouts from roots as opposed to seedlings. In my own yard where I planted a sassafras many years ago which has not bloomed, I am also seeing these young stems.

I’m also seeing a few on the east side of the Connecticut river, in areas you wouldn’t have expected.

2 Likes

Cool. I’m convinced I’m seeing something different this year.

Interesting to keep your eye on them. I’m wondering whether in the areas I am seeing them whether they might give some invasives a run for their money.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.