According to Google, every plant is now an algae

The explanation is quite simple: all green plant cells contain chloroplasts, and chloroplasts are technically symbiotic algae.

4 Likes

If we use the widest definition of ‘algae’ to include cyanobacteria as well, yes.

It turned me into a newt!

I got better.

5 Likes

Reject plant, return to algae

2 Likes

So, Single-leaf pinyon pine (along with many other Pinus) is apparently an alga but its congener, Colorado pinyon pine, apparently is not. There seems to be little or no consistency which makes this even stranger.

3 Likes

I guess Google has joined the Misinformation Age where facts are malleable and what you want them to be.

2 Likes

Classic Google, finally catching up with the rest of the internet.

Algae nation unite!

3 Likes

It’s the great am-alga-mation.

8 Likes

Oh hey it’s fixed now!

I checked this morning and they were still algae. Now they’re all plants again. Rejoice! The plants are no longer a lie :relieved:

6 Likes

lets go!

I am still left wondering what happened inside Google… also my thanks to Bob McDougall for the laugh. Circular but then again no…

1 Like

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/z6jz1w/google_currently_thinks_all_plants_are_algae/

I wonder, if Google (Alphabet) will say something?

1 Like

I bet someone really caught some, uh, flack from their mom!!!

At least we (and reddit) had a lot of fun with this, ya’ll are hilarious!!

1 Like

Anyone who is even vaguely familiar with the differences in reproductive method in vascular plant clades would never dream of labelling them all as ‘Algae’, proof that Google provides ample information, unfortunately without any context

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.