Interesting, funny, weird, e.t.c. plant names

I realized that I accidentally posted a weird/funny Plant name on the post Funny, long, or just plain weird animal names. Instead of just deleting my comment, I think I will make another topic specifically for Plant names.

[quote=“haemocyanin11, post:223, topic:3220, full:true”]

Also, slightly off-topic, but if someone wants to make another topic for interesting/weird/long Fungi or Protist names, go right ahead!

2 Likes

One favorite: Hogwallow Starfish

(FYI vernal pools, where this species is found, are sometimes referred to as hogwallows in California)

1 Like

Ornithogalum adseptentrionesvergentulum is a name which I guess is quite impractical for everyday use.

6 Likes

One of my favorites is Portulaca pilosa a.k.a. Hairy Pigweed. I thought its common name was funny and cute, but my boyfriend never remembers the name and always calls it something new and inappropriate each time :confounded:

4 Likes
  • Naked broomrape
  • Sickletop lousewort
  • Fork-tooth ookow

(These are all very common in the Pacific Northwest.)

2 Likes

One of my favorites:
Obi-Wan Conobea Leucospora multifida
Smile every time I see it.

11 Likes

I want to start a band called Henbit Deadnettle (Lamium amplexicaule). Super common, non-native, one of the first city weeds I learned, and still one of my favorite plant names.

6 Likes

I always think this is a mouthful:
Turkey Tangle Frogfruit Phyla nodiflora
Who came up with that? ;)

@connlindajo I’ve never heard of Obi-Wan Conobea but I think it just became my new favorite plant :)

4 Likes

The most interesting one I found out recently: gale of the wind

Prior to that, I was struck by the ones with medieval-sounding names:

And of course

• wolfsbane – necessary for driving away werewolves. What gothic monastery garden would be complete without it?
2 Likes

@threeagoutdoors Turkey tangle frogfruit was my second choice. I remember being annoyed when they changed it from Texas frogfruit sometime after I joined iNat. It was a perfectly perfect common name.

2 Likes

Here’s a few that almost tell a story:

Touch Me Not (balsam )
Virgin’s Bower (clematis)
Forget Me Not (myosotis)

1 Like

Can’t leave out Psychotria elata also known as Hooker’s Lips.
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/287472-Psychotria-elata
Though iNat has chosen the less comedic common name.

Oh, and Clitoria, that always gets a chuckle.

5 Likes

Just fun to say: Polygala polygama (racemed milkwort)

Crippled Cranefly (Tipularia discolor)
Nits and Lice (Hypericum drummondii)
Scrambled Eggs (Corydalis aurea)
Rattlesnake Master (Eryngium yuccifolium)

These three all have a similar shaped single clapping leaf. “Ophioglossum” means snake tongue.
Green Adder’s Mouth (Malaxis unifolia)
Snake-mouth Orchid, Adder’s Mouth (Pogonia ophioglossoides) aka rose pogonia
Adder’s Tongue ferns (Ophioglossum spp.)

3 Likes

Lesser Weasel Snout (Misopates orontium)

3 Likes

Going further (culled from list o’ flower names)

Primrose
WallFlower
Maiden Hair
Sweet William
Tulips
Love in a Puff
Passion Flower
Bridal Veil
Nightshade
Naked Lady
Dogwood
Baby’s Breath
Honeysuckle
Elderflower

I wanted something funny yet nature related in Latin for my user name. There are a lot of names related to what’s going on at that time. Mine’s seasonal related - Ba_humbugi - it’s a snail🤣

4 Likes

Am I allowed to reply to my own post???

I was looking up “Plant” on the Explorer page and this showed up…

Umm…What?

3 Likes

you are most welcome, so long as it doesn’t become spammy :)

1 Like

Thank! I wasn’t actually on purpose looking for this. I was replying to the Display Genus along with Subgenus thread and trying to see how many different levels of taxa are displayed from the typed text. I wonder if this would be a good way to find strange names for these interesting taxa name forum threads?

tbh I’ve found that the autocomplete / suggestions for search to be… a bit erratic. Top results can be a) popular taxa b) common name close match c) partial scientific name match in seemingly random order. sometimes more common taxa are suggested, other times eg a section will be suggested when a genus or species would be far more useful and more used for IDs and search. it baffles me.

1 Like