Account Settings Redesign Released

Hey all, the Account Settings page has been redesigned and should now be available to everyone on the site. There isn’t a whole lot of new functionality (although you can change your password on the page now), but it’s no longer the lovable jumbled accretion of settings it once was.

Settings are now organized into different categories that are listed on the left, and and the “Save Settings” button stays on the upper right-hand side instead of being buried at the bottom of the page. It will turn blue if you make a change which needs to be saved, and you should get a warning if you try to leave the page without saving changes.

A big thank you to @albullington and @abhasm for spearheading this.

If you find any bugs, please start a topic in #bug-reports so we can take a look.

26 Likes

ac·cre·tion
/əˈkrēSH(ə)n/
noun
the process of growth or increase, typically by the gradual accumulation of additional layers or matter.

6 Likes

It’s cool to have contacts that way, no need to search how to give access to another user! Will notification system changes affect this page?

5 Likes

On the Profile tab, I think it would be better to have everything in a single wide column instead of two narrow columns. As it is, I have to extend the Bio text-area by about three page-heights to show my whole bio at once, because it’s restricted to the width of just one of those columns.

On the Accounts tab, I can’t middle-click to open the “Learn more about third party tracking” link, and it doesn’t display the destination of the link when the cursor is hovered over it. Being able to see where a link goes is probably important to the kind of people who would click on that link.

On the Content & Display tab, I’d prefer to see “Accept community identifications” as “Override community identifications”, switching the meaning and default value, because I think it would make it clearer that doing this is not a good thing in most cases.

Other than those quibbles, great work! Much more organized and compact.

6 Likes

Thanks, this looks nice!

In the Content & Display tab it looks like all my copyright settings were reset to CC BY-NC but I tested a couple observations and it seems like they still have my old settings.

3 Likes

Yes, there should be more options when notifications are revamped, although that won’t be for a while.

Stupid question, but I’m not a PC user: what are you expecting middle clicking to do, open it in a new tab?

Maybe worth a bug report. Sounds similar to https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/new-account-settings-page-says-anyone-can-add-observation-fields-to-my-obs-but-actually-only-i-can/19430

2 Likes

Should there be something in this dropdown? I click on it and it turns blue, but nothing is available to select.

1 Like

Going through Relationships, every time I click on “Trust with hidden coordinates” it sends me back to block [1]. Can we make it so that checking that box leaves me in the same place, so I don’t have to go back to where I left off?

1 Like

Yes, this

3 Likes

Can I suggest bolding The last line of the affiliations section, so that it draws the attention of users BEFORE they experiment with changing the drop down?

Note: Please do not experimentally change your affiliation if you have more than 1000 observations.

3 Likes

Ouch! This makes managing/editing my BIO very cumbersome. It’s TOO NARROW! I’ll have to copy/paste into a text editor so I can edit it with sufficient width to be able to deal with the HTML code. I’m sure that I’m using my BIO for purposes different from which it was designed, but…

1 Like

Also, image looks to also impact searches in Identify (not JUST Explore, as stated.) I don’t know if that’s intended or inadvertent, but either way, should probably be more explicit in the explanation.

1 Like

Thanks, it’s much easier to find things now, and very transparent and straighforward in function! (Re transparency, I also enjoyed reading the common-sense case y’all make about 3rd party factors.)

2 Likes

Is there a way to get notifications only when people agree with my observations but not when someone agrees with an id i made for other people?

It probably will be added with notifications’ revamp.

1 Like

In other languages, the relationship tab is not automatically adjusting its field width:

3 Likes

Just a reminder to post bugs as a topic in Bug Reports. Thanks!

3 Likes

That isn’t a link - it’s just a button that opens an information dialog, rather than navigating to another url (i.e. the current page stays the same after you click on it).

I’m not exactly sure why the button is styled to look like a link, though.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback folks, and for making bug reports. Most of the bugs have been fixed and we’re working any remaining ones. If you do find a bug, please make a new topic #bug-reports rather than commenting here.

The Bio field has been expanded some, although perhaps not as much as you would like.

3 Likes

I find this new design appealing and easy to navigate. Well done!

5 Likes