Add ability to edit Photo copyright attribution to someone other than account observer

I sometimes add photos taken by other people (with permission) to my iNat observations where I am certain I can verify location etc., but there is no way to update photo copyright attribution to anyone other than the account holder. In addition to updating type of licence, it would be great to be able to edit image copyright holder too.

Maybe a lifetime of being a part-time photographer makes me pedantic, but given the likely use of good images with appropriate licence elsewhere, it is important that correct attribution is given, and I don’t want to miss out on being able to add key observations from people who do not use iNat themselves.

I’d be OK with implementing it for situations where perhaps your friend got a better photo than you did of an organism you saw together, but as said here, iNat shouldn’t be a place for posting observations made by other people.

2 Likes

I could use this feature. My husband has no interest in using iNaturalist but he does observe alongside me frequently and sometimes gets better pictures. Plus I have a lot of old scuba diving photos of creatures that he took. I found them, he shot them. I’m not sure what to do about that, copyright wise.