Add "None" to taxon page photo browser annotation filter options

Currently there is an “Any” choice for when you don’t want to apply any filters to a taxon photo gallery.
I would like to see an option for “none” on many of these filters.

I like to add annotations where possible, and it would make it easier to look for observations where nothing is annotated if that were a filtering option.

E.g.

It wouldn’t apply to all filters; e.g., it couldn’t apply to quality because it’s either casual or RG (none is not a valid choice). And of course, I’d still have to go into the observation to be sure I could make a choice (e.g., if there’s an angiosperm that isn’t flower budding, flowering, or fruiting; or if there are multiple organisms present with different genders or life stages).

You already can do it by clicking in the options on the graphs of the taxon and clicking “Add Annotations for …”, at least for "Life Stage and “Sex”

I guess it also could be added for the search bar though. I am sure that there is also an option to do it with a iNaturalist’s Search URLs , but I really do not know.

1 Like

Based on this post, I think it’s a numeric value that differs per annotation.

1 Like

Just tried that. It sort of works for the use case I described, but since it opens an observation page, the pics are tiny thumbnails. I wanted to sort through the photo gallery.

1 Like

If it has to be the photo browser, I think you’re out of luck.
To filter in an annotation, the URL adds term_id=, which implies to me that to filter it out, the URL should have without_term_id=. Unfortunately this redirects back to the base photo browser, I think because that search is not available in the photo browser.

I have two alternate suggestions. The first is to use the Identify page, which is where the link from the graph that @pdfuenteb posted goes. The thumbnails are by default small (see here), but if you use the zoom function of your browser, you can increase them. (It does also make everything else on the page bigger too, but at least the images are easier to see.)

The second is to use Observation Explore which uses larger thumbnails by default:

Both Identify and Explore can have observations without a particular annotation filtered out by using without_term_id= as detailed in the Search wiki.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why Identify won’t work here. You can zoom to 100% in the Identify modal.

Identify is harder to use on mobile (see original screenshot)?
Oof, just tried it, especially the zoom.

2 Likes

Yeah, none of the website is particularly great to use on a phone browser (although I’ve seen top IDers use Identify on their iPad). @star3, do you usually use a mobile browser?

Yes, because I always have my phone with me, but I can do more with the browser than the app.

1 Like

Yes, Cassi, the zoom is terrible. :)
It’s bad on the original size jpeg, but even worse on thumbnails.
I just have to suck it up and use the tools I have, though. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Doing this via your phone seems so frustrating. I salute your fortitude @star3, thanks for helping out! I’ll see if this is something we can add.

1 Like