Add print feature

When I collect a dead specimen, I like to print the iNat observation from the desktop (browser) app and include it in the baggy before I send it to the museum. If I use the print feature of the browser it prints about 6 pages of extraneous stuff. So I mark the portion I’m interested in first. Marking the exact information is kind of tricky since I want the name of the organism, my name, the place and date found and the description. First I have to edit the location to include the latitude and longitude since these don’t print otherwise. Then I have to click “show” next to the location in order to print the entire location. It would be nice to have settings where I can choose what I would like to print, for example my real name instead of my login name. Thanks.

0 Likes

This would be a pretty niche feature, since you can already export all your data for formatting in whatever way you want. Can you just print screenshots instead? e.g.

1 Like

I didn’t think of printing screenshots. I’ll have to try that next time. How do I export the observation? Thanks.

1 Like

You can export all of your observations by going to Your Observations (in header), then clicking Filters>Download (bottom right corner). It will bring you to:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/export?verifiable=any&page=1&spam=&place_id=any&user_id=dellfalconer&project_id=

You can choose what you want to export, scroll to bottom, and click Create Export.

0 Likes

@dellfalconer, does printing the screenshot work for you? Do you think we should close this feature request?

0 Likes

Printing a screenshot works better than the browser’s print function, but a print feature or print “view” of the observation would still be much preferable. I would still like to see this feature implemented. Thanks.

0 Likes

even if this was a 3rd party thing that grabbed the data for the obs through the API and then formatted up for printing (for me A4). Would be cool to be able to select or exclude “sections” like the DQA or CID parts. Would be low impact. If I ever get time to learn how to use the API, I’ll make it my hello world project!

0 Likes