Adding a 'eBird Global 4-Letter Code' lexicon?

eBird uses a 4 letter code which is worldwide unlike the AOU. For an easy way to abbreviate all birds worldwide, how about we add this lexicon to iNat?

The rules: (from the California Bird Club https://www.carolinabirdclub.org/bandcodes.html)

Here is a summary of the basic rules:

If the name is one word, the code is the first four letters.
DICK Dickcissel
SORA Sora
If the name is two unhyphenated words, the code is the first two letters of each word.
MODO Mourning Dove
AMRO American Robin
If the name is three words, the code is the first letter of each of the first two words, and the first two letters of the third word. A name of three hyphenated words is treated the same way.
GCFL Great Crested Flycatcher
AWPE American White Pelican
CWWI Chuck-will’s-widow
If the name is a word and a pair of hyphenated words, the code is the first two letters of the unhyphenated word and the first letter of each of the hyphenated words.
Hyphenated word first (coded essentially the same as a three-word name):

BTGR Boat-tailed Grackle
RTHU Ruby-throated Hummingbird
RTHA Red-tailed Hawk
Hyphenated word last:

EASO Eastern Screech-Owl
EAWP Eastern Wood-Pewee
There are a very few bird names where the first word contains two capital letters. Such words are treated like a hyphenated word:

LCSP LeConte’s Sparrow
MGWA MacGillivray’s Warbler
If the name has four parts, either separate words or hyphenated parts, the code is the first letter of each part
BCNH Black-crowned Night-Heron
NRWS Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Advantages:

More species, faster, which allows convenience to a far wider audience (I am quite annoyed that an American could type AMRO to get American Robin but I have no ability to type OMRO and instead have to type Oriental Magpie Robin which is long, or Copsychus saularis which is easy to typo)

Easier to figure out the name without memorizing due to constant rules

Makes iNat easier to use for eBird users

1 Like

Does eBird publish an official list? Importing the list would be far easier than adding them all manually one at a time

2 Likes

No, but the rules are simple so we can add them slowly by slowly (duhhh it would take a long time but its worth it I actually went around adding every single accipiter to the AOU code before I deleted them all when I realized there is an official list)

This means that utterly devoted and enthusiastic users can achieve this monumental feat

Yeah, they do have one. I’m not sure where it officially is, but here’s a spreadsheet I have saved with the Cornell species code, the common name 4-letter code, scientific name 4-letter code and a ‘banding code’ (not sure what that’s for).
So for example, Shikhra has:
shikra1
SHIK
ACBA

1 Like

On eBird, each species has multiple 4-letter combinations; e.g., the name Oriental Magpie-Robin (𝘊𝘰𝘱𝘴𝘺𝘤𝘩𝘶𝘴 𝘴𝘢𝘶𝘭𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘴) pops up no matter you enter OMRO, ORMR, or COSA.
I doubt there is an official list of codes for birds not occurring in ABA area. I’d rather think is to do with programming.

1 Like

Probably the result of those 2 systems mentioned here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_codes_(birds)?

With this system using in Americas, what’s the use of it worldwide for other species? There’re local abbrevations in use I guess.

1 Like

Yes we should also include Scientific names, probably should be marked a different lexicon all together

But only the first two words are interchangeable.

This is why OMAR doesn’t work

Just utter typing convenience (I elaborated on it in the original post)

There is a system though

https://www.carolinabirdclub.org/bandcodes.html

And this is also for different codes. eBird recommends using the steps mentioned above. These are just for lack of confusion over systems.

The list shows synonyms as well,.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.