Am I doing something wrong? (Website uploader does not grab date/location info)

So, generally I still use the iOS app to upload observations because it reliably picks up the location, date/time date from the photos. But, then most other observation features have to be done on the website. So, I often do not bother with DQA, tags, annotations, etc.

From time to time, I try to use the website to upload (via iPhone or iPad), but then I still have to manually enter date/time and map-navigate to the location, even though I get a fleeting message that says ‘uploading metadata’. So, it is also a pain to use the website.

I rarely use a computer, as my old desktop is fairly frail these days.

1 Like

Did you see the tips in this post?

I looked that posting. Helpful as it is, the instructions seem specific for using a Mac computer.

So, I have not seen a way to do the described Export feature on an iPhone though.

After reading the post, I tried using the iPhone’s Forward (up arrow icon) to Save to Folders. But, then iNat’s website Choose Files feature was not able to find the Folders residing on the iPhone. INat went iCloud folders instead.

Now, mind you, I see a message from iNat that says it is ~loading the metadata~. Yet, the date/location information is not applied to the observation.

Wouldn’t that seem like a bug, rather than an intentional process?

I’m pretty sure the developers intended for the message “loading metadata” to be shorthand for “we are attempting to load metadata” – i.e. it does not guarantee anything about whether the image has the necessary metadata or whether iNat will be able to process it correctly. It’s definitely true that the message displays even when you upload images with no metadata.

Whether that’s a bug is maybe a question of interpretation?

Mostly FEELS like a bug! It’s pretty bad UI design in any event.

If it won’t upload metadata, Why say anything at all?

Speaking entirely personally, I don’t really have a problem with the loading message, I think the issue is more that there is no error message for when the loading fails. I think it would be an improvement if iNat could produce messages like “error loading metadata: no metadata found” or “error loading metadata: metadata failed to process”.

1 Like

Well, TBH, my negative perception is more about the fact that the website does not load the metadata from iOS than it is about the misleading message. That message is just the “icing on the cake” :roll_eyes:

An improved message would be nice, indeed. But, so much better if it just worked.

What version of iOS and what browser are you using? I was just able to import metadata successfully from photos on my iPhone XS with iOS 14.4.2 in Safari, by selecting from the “Photo Library” from “Choose files”.

1 Like

@carrieseltzer That’s interesting. I wonder what settings I can check to resolved this, as I do not think my equipment and software is that different from yours.

I get this issue with both my iPad and iPhone.

iPad (Pro 4th gen), iOS 14.4.2, Safari
IPhone 11 (Pro Max), iOS 14.4.2, Safari

So, what I experience (more or less):

Hit Upload icon
Click Choose files
Choose Photo Library
Select a Photo
Click Add
The observation data fields appear
See the “Adding Metadata’ message briefly
(But Date/location fields remain blank)
Then click Species Name
Choose CV or type a name
Manually add date/time
Manually navigate through Worldwide map to the location area
Click Update

I have sceenshots, but this is more a request about the right way to do this rather than a bug report, so I’ll spare everyone that (unless it would be helpful).

1 Like

If you go to an iNaturalist page in Safari and tap the settings, what does it say? Here’s what mine looks like.

1 Like

Looks similar?

Darn, I was really hoping that would be the problem.

Can anyone else replicate this behavior that @teellbee is experiencing using the web uploader from Safari on an iOS device where the timestamp and location metadata isn’t imported from the images?

1 Like

This is for iNat website not reading GPS nor data/time metadata:

iPad (Pro 4th gen), iOS 14.4.2, Safari
IPhone 11 (Pro Max), iOS 14.4.2, Safari

So, what I experience (more or less):

• Hit Upload icon
  • Click Choose files
  • Choose Photo Library
  • Select a Photo
  • Click Add
  • The observation data fields appear
  • See the “Adding Metadata’ message briefly
  • (But Date/location fields remain blank)
  • Then click Species Name
  • Choose CV or type a name
  • Manually add date/time
  • Manually navigate through Worldwide map to the location area
  • Click Update

Also, I compared my iPhone settings with @carrieseltzer (thank you, Carrie!) and they seem to be the same.

While I do have a more detailed video screenshot I could send, here are some static screenshots to give some of the picture:

(I had to add the date manually with the calendar icon and the location with the map utility)

(moved the above reply to this topic)

If you have that video, please do send it to help@inaturalist.org. I think that would help us understand the issue better. If you can send some of the photos to help@inaturalist.org as well that would be great.

1 Like

Okay, I sent a screen video from the iPhone. Would it be useful to see how it looks on the iPad, also?

I think this should be fine, but I’ll have to take a look first.

I normally use my desktop for all my uploads, but I thought I’d see if I could reproduce this, and it seems like I have the same behavior as @teellbee . Using my phone (iPhone 8 Plus, 14.4.1), any photo I upload through the web upload form in Safari does not show the EXIF data. It sits at “Loading metadata…” for some time but never succeeds.

This same photo uploaded to the web form on my PC works fine though:

Out of curiosity, I tried uploading the same photo from the iOS app and that works too:

I did a bit of testing and found that older photos taken on my previous phone (iPhone 6s) seem to work, but nothing taken on my current phone (iPhone 8 Plus). Not sure what to make of that, but maybe this is helpful.

2 Likes

Mobile Safari strips metadata from photos when this phone setting is set (seems it’s the default one):
Settings->Camera->Formats setting = High Efficiency

You should set the setting to Most Compatible to disable such stripping. Very absurd and unexpected behaviour. Apple’s fault, not iNaturalist’s.

If you use the app on mobile, not the website, you should not have this problem.

The problem is discussed here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57942150/file-upload-and-exif-in-mobile-safari

2 Likes

I wondered if downloading from iCloud has anything to do with this?

@exonie when I use my Mac computer (the antiquated one) to try to upload via iNat website from Photo library, the progress dial just spins for days.

So glad to hear this ~IS NOT~ just me. Thank you for checking what you can.

You described an issue with mobile devices and I commented on it. Your Mac problem could be something else.