Am looking for some test users of an identification app

Oh wow, that will be great for Bioblitzes, we can do one city or province at a time if we want. Thanks!

1 Like

If you keep making the app better I might never go back :o

2 Likes

Unfortunately the app has now become very buggy. Series of observations Iā€™ve already given IDs will reappear, Iā€™m logged out every few minutes, and sometimes I canā€™t swipe at all because every tap just skips to another ob :(
On filter for New Jersey.

Thank you for the report. I have tried to analyze it, but I do not run into the same errors. Could you post your exact settings for all filters?

Next time it happens, I will :)

Just within the last few hours, I hit 2 different unusual spots:
-working through Malaysia, it hits a point where it spins instead of giving the next set, and canā€™t proceed, giving the ā€œsorryā€ message
-working through Hong Kong, it hits a point where I get a strange ā€œflickeryā€ kickout to the main screen (hard to describe but it looks like itā€™s trying to do something during that process and not succeeding)

I saw each happen at those same points 2 times before moving on to something else. My workflow is such that I may be able to approach these specific points slowly by other means and narrow in on the records where it happens. Iā€™ll followup if I find them. It could be that a couple of obs are glitched in some way and are just confusing the app.

Settings each time: used search to set up the locations; oldest first; 1 photo; captive false

1 Like

I found the source of this one- I reached the end of the queue in that mode! :)

Edit: A few hours later in Hong Kong, I appear to have gone past the earlier point without issue. It may have been a transient thing at the site?

1 Like

Now that you can ā€œzero inā€ on different localities, itā€™s doable to find a interesting place that doesnā€™t have so many ā€œmessy lead inā€ records before you get to identifiable stuff. :)

(Example: I have trouble with ā€œsea lifeā€ so choosing somewhere landlocked can help me avoid those.)

Update: Hot tip for a place to zero in on this month: Hong Kong, since an inter-school? bioblitz challenge is in progress there.

4 Likes

Iā€™m loving the new updates.

Since a few days ago, images will no longer load. I can still get the ā€œall doneā€ error / message.
Edit: actually, this only happens when I set the ā€œone or moreā€ filter to ā€œanyā€

Thanks!
I think the app will probably stay like it is now for a while. For my purposes it is good enough.
I donā€™t have the same problem that images are not showing at the moment. If you can post your entire swiper settings I can investigate. (Maybe I should add some buttons to send problem/bug/crash reports to a central depot).

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been testing out the app and itā€™s a game changer! Many of the changes I would have suggested at first turned out to be ones you had already fixed, like the option to swipe down to skip. Thanks for making this a reality!

Since the app is finished, these suggestions are only if you decide to further tinker with it in the future.

• Iā€™d second the ability to set different levels of taxon. Thisā€™d be great for much-ignored areas like fungi, where we can at least maybe separate them down further into different levels. While thereā€™ll be a natural limitation of three directions (or four, if thatā€™s enabled), that does have the advantage of being easy to remember. However this may run into a curveball of locations being general continents; while I could sort things in North America into dicots and monocots, other areas would be hard. So, this may be opening a new can of worms in terms of fixes and bugs.

• Second suggestion, and the most out-there one that may not even be possible: a mode for annotations. I try to set them for plants if theyā€™re flowering, fruiting, etc, but something like this for annotations would be great! ā€¦ Just, I can see a few cons with this:
    - Is there even a way for iNat to know if something has annotations or not in a way the app could check?
    - How would the app be able to know when to go to the next one?
    - While plants may be easier to deal with (ie, limit to plantae), how would we handle states like ā€˜alive/deadā€™ and life stages that are specific to different branches, like mammals versus insects, in a swipe format?
    - Would we limit it by locations as well?

What ever happened with this app? Was it ever released? Can more people try it out?

1 Like

Itā€™s iNat Toolkit and it should be somewhere for Android.

1 Like

Hello @zygy ,
the app is still invite only at the moment. There has not been a lot of interest, so I havenā€™t published it for everyone to find in the App stores. Let me know if you are interested in testing it out.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.