(Android) Active ID is partially grayed out when another similar ID is withdrawn (when observation viewed from Activity feed)

minor bug using v1.20.19 of the app on a Pixel 3a running Android 11:

yesterday, i corrected an observation https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/62053734 because it had reached research grade on 2 IDs that were wrong. this morning, i noticed in the “Activity” > “Following” feed on the Android app, that the observer had withdrawn his original ID and offered a correct ID. so i clicked on the activity feed entry, and this is what i saw:

the observer’s original ID was withdrawn and so was grayed out, which was expected, but then the second ID (from a second person) was also partially grayed out (the taxon icon), which was unexpected.

checking the observation via the website on a computer (Chromium Edge on Win 10), things look like what i was expecting (the first ID is crossed out, but the second ID is not):

so i went back to the app, and pulled up the observation via Explore, and it looked okay:

but then when i closed the app and went back to the observation via the Activity feed, then that second ID would be partially grayed out again…

not sure why opening the observation via Explore vs the Activity feed should affect the way the observation is displayed in the app, but there seems to be some sort of minor bug here. i’m not sure how to reproduce this kind of problem without some coordination with others. so i’m just going to report this and hope that iNat staff can reproduce this internally.

3 Likes

I’ve noticed the same, or similar. Sometimes every identification of a certain species (e.g. here clasping coneflower) will be greyed out, even if not withdrawn (such as if I put the id in and know I have not withdrawn it), but then sometimes they’re not.

Also in the android app.

if you come across, this, please send a screenshot and log files to help@inaturalist.org. To send log files, go to the About tab in the app and tap three times on the version number. You will then have the option to email the log files to us.