Animals in strange places doing strange things

Anyone seen animals doing strange things, or just being in strange places?
Here’s one, a squirrel holding a magnum by the stick and eating it, and a rabbit diving into a lake and swimming under water to the other side, after being frightened. I laughed so hard XD :rofl:

2 Likes

I assume you mean the ice cream bar? I’ve seen ads for it. Maybe use a less obscure term? Had me thinking the squirrel had a gun for sec.

4 Likes

I once accidentally frightened a chipmunk and made it run off of a cliff…

6 Likes

I’m sure I’ve seen many weird things, but I can only think of a few off the top of my head. I once sat in a park in D.C. and watched a black squirrel steal a lime slice from someone’s drink, which it proceeded to eat on the ground next to me. Just a few days ago, I watched a groundhog flee onto a porch and watch me with its head through the slats of the railing like a dog. Finally, we’ve been getting little “gifts” from the birds after we put up our feeder. So far, they’ve left us walnuts, half of a surgical mask, and a plastic sandwich bag.

6 Likes

Aghhhh, surgical mask is a bad present!!

I’ve seen anoles eating mangoes, which surprised me the first time I saw it (but apparently isn’t that uncommon).

3 Likes

I once frightened a chipmunk in my compost bin that jumped and landed in the cup of tea I was holding. Fortunately it wasn’t still hot. :coffee:

6 Likes

There I was, trying to understand how Champagne could be held by a stick…

7 Likes

There’s a particular rock on this kororā landing beach that a weirdly high percentage of them each night jump at repeatedly for several minutes to get on top of it, only to immediately hop down the other side, when they could have just gone around.

And of course have to plug the notorious sushi bandits

1 Like

I once saw two Canada geese having a spat on ice. It was kind of funny to see them slipping around while a third just watched them. Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) from Riverview, Winnipeg, MB, Canada on April 05, 2018 at 10:31 AM by Ian Toal · iNaturalist.ca

2 Likes

imagine that :laughing:

I can imagine that…hilarious

Male Cotinis mutabilis regularly attempt to copulate with my fingers.

4 Likes

I recently saw a pair of red-shouldered hawks nesting on a support structure under a bridge. This is the second year in a row they have nested there. The year before that, they were nesting in a large sycamore tree nearby. But, the branch where their nest was located was knocked down in a storm.

A researcher studying these hawks told me that they seem to be very good at adapting to suburban areas and cities.

1 Like

One time at local community garden center I saw a scrub Jay who had taught in itself how to fly-catch. It was near a beehive and was exhibiting fly-catching behavior identical to that found and flycatchers. my only guess is that it must have learned it by observing other birds, once again proving how intelligent corvids truly are.

1 Like

I once had a Cooper’s hawk try to steal my hat. Fortunately, he did not succeed, but it was still a bit alarming.

3 Likes

Currently, I have birds in my ventilation system. The mom bird even made a nest in there, and I can hear them chirping downstairs. Also, it’s right on top of the bathroom, so the bathroom smells terrible now. I think the baby birds pooped. Strangely enough, last year the exact same thing happened, except the birds actually fell out and we had to take them outside.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.