Annoying identifying tactic

I know there are some users who don’t want escaped garden plants that will likely not establish an enduring population to be included on range maps, so they will mark such observations as “not wild” regardless of whether or not the observer includes a note, and regardless of how obvious it is from the photo that the specimen was not planted. How you deal with it may depend on how eager you are to engage in the same debates over and over.

I enjoy observing plants that have escaped cultivation, too, and I’ve found a few things help: leaving a note; making sure that the first photo is one that clearly shows the context (i.e., instead of an easily IDable close-up, using one where the thumbnail includes the expanse of concrete that the plant is growing out of); preemptively marking such observations as wild (which will counter a single “not-wild” vote); and periodically checking my observations to see if there are any that are casual and are not supposed to be. Sometimes people will accidentally click on this button – it is easy to do if one is using the “Identify” module – so it never hurts to check for casuals even if one does not regularly observe borderline cases.

I will admit that I do sometimes mark observations of obviously cultivated plants (indoor plants in pots, manicured flower beds, city trees, etc.) as “not wild” without providing an ID. Sometimes I will comment that I have marked it as not wild; however, if there are multiple cultivated observations by the same observer (there often are), I don’t see a need to comment every time I mark one.

The reason I don’t provide an ID is because I often don’t know what it is beyond “one of those showy garden plants”. The majority of these observations are probably more of interest to sociologists than botanists, so I also don’t see any great benefit in spending a lot of time on them if I don’t happen to know what it is off the top of my head. Some IDers don’t mark even obviously cultivated plants as not wild, which can quickly result in the observations becoming research grade, so I do prefer to at least mark such observations rather than skipping them and leaving them for the next person to deal with.

If it is a new user I will try to find a few of their observations that I do recognize and provide an ID for encouragement, along with a note that the focus of iNat is really on wild organisms and not pets or ornamental garden plants.

Sometimes users don’t really seem to need an ID – they are posting photos of plants in botanical gardens or at garden centers where it would be easy to check the label if they want to know what it is.

For identifying unknown houseplants or garden plants, there are other websites and apps that will probably serve this purposes better. Because the CV isn’t necessarily trained on pictures of cultivated plants – which may look different than wild ones – and because it doesn’t include hybrids, it often doesn’t recognize ornamentals as reliably as it does wild plants. This isn’t quite as bad with the new geomodel, which no longer excludes non-wild observations from the “expected nearby” suggestions, but I still see odd suggestions.

5 Likes

Yes, there are many examples of observations of introduced plants where the observer was unsure whether the specimen was wild or cultivated. When a seedling of an introduced tree species is located in an untended area, it is most likely escaped, especially if there are mature specimens of that species nearby.

The three Quercus cerris observations listed below are very likely of plants that originated from acorns that fell from nearby cultivated specimens, then either sprouted where they fell or were transported by Blue Jays of Gray Squirrels before they sprouted. While some now mature Quercus cerris trees were planted in Central Park in New York City, it is highly unlikely that the sprouted seedlings were themselves planted by people.

4 Likes

I did not expect this many replies, thanks so much! I commonly go to a state park where a flower bed reintroduction ended up spreading heavily, and now >98% of the plants in that area are descendants and reclaiming the land. That location, along with “rare” weeds are marked captive.
Thanks again!

3 Likes

I’ve had the same problem - I uploaded a seedling of a hosta that sprouted in my garden, and even said so in the notes, yet it was still marked as cultivated, even though it looks way too small to be planted.

4 Likes

The issue is interesting with regard to plants, such as hostas, grasses, sedums, and even some woody ones such as Quercus gambelii, that can reproduce above or below ground vegetatively, in addition to by seeding. Your hosta sprout may have originated as a seed, but there may be others that are reproducing from stolons underground. At first, a newly emerged sprout may still be attached to the parent plant and it might be unclear whether or when to deem it as separate individual. Over time a naturalized population can become established. When to draw the distinction between its status as a cultivated or wild population can be a matter of judgment.

3 Likes

I don’t understand how potting a domestic/exotic plant isn’t still cultivation regardless of how it came to be. The invasive hostas in my yard were planted by someone long ago so all offspring are still cultivated even as I try to eradicate them. They are escaped, not (voluntarily) wild.

I’m 99% sure the hosta in question sprouted from seed, which is why I marked it wild. I think that it should count as wild because I certainly didn’t want it to pop up there (I fear hostas becoming invasive), and it is under no care from me. For me personally, I think that even if a plant technically was planted by someone long ago, but has become naturalized (ex. english ivy spreading vegetatively from a garden into nearby woodland), it still counts as wild. A couple days ago I encountered a population of Norway Spruces in White Pine dominated forest (NE Ohio), and even though they seem to have been planted at some point, I still consider them wild because they are in a naturalized woodland area and are successfully reproducing, since I found seedlings nearby.

4 Likes

This case is very clear in the guidelines:

Captive / cultivated (planted)

• tree planted 1, 10, or 100 years ago by humans
5 Likes

Difficulties stem (lol) from trees and plants able to spread vegetatively/clonally, making it impossible (or utterly impractical) to determine whether two “tree trunks” (or two “waterlily spreads”) are still connected underground / underwater, or not.

(Best case scenario: a well-placed hit of a spade and voilà! say hi to a new wild individual :D)

5 Likes

I think the key here is “seem to be.” If you know they were planted, they should be marked cultivated (and if they are reseeding, those offspring are “wild”). But if you aren’t certain, they should be marked wild in that case.

In regards to Ivy and other vegetatively spreading plants, I think of them the same way as I think of a tree. When a cultivated tree expands its canopy, there’s never a point where the new growth becomes “wild.” Any ivy that is known to be planted should be marked cultivated, regardless of how much it’s spreading.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.