Any rules on a club, not a person, registering for iNaturalist?

Another point is the club has been in existence for 120 odd years, is an incorporated body and we hope will be still functioning in another 100 years and hopefully so will naturalist so it will be history of the clubs expeditions and observations, rather than just haphazard written records as happened in the past.

2 Likes

If this only applies to the umbrella project and maintaining continuity of ownership is the only real concern, I would just do this by adding multiple members as admins myself. This honestly seems easier than making and administering an email account with a password solely for managing the project. Email accounts have passwords that can be lost and passing off the info for this doesnā€™t strike me as any easier than adding iNat users. Since those users have their own accounts with passwords, they would be less likely to be lost in my opinion.

6 Likes

I agree with this. My understanding is that admins can add other admins to a project, so even in the event the original owner of the project becomes inactive or no longer around without ownership being preemptively transferred, the remaining admins can pass down admin permissions to subsequent members. And, if something went really wrong, I think iNat staff would be willing to help.

No it also applies to the collection projects. And apparently for some reason anyone can start a collection project but only members that have contributed to the project can then be added as co-admin people. And that is really where the problem originated I think.

You had previously said

So Iā€™m a little confused by the response. I believe that iNat users will need to join a collection project to be made an admin (this is to prevent making users admins of projects without their consent), but that they donā€™t have to contribute any observations, so I donā€™t think that thereā€™s an issue.

1 Like

Ah thank you. I donā€™t realise that point, ie if a user joins the project without actually contributing an obs than they can be made a joint admin. Weā€™ll now go and try that out for a couple of our projects.

1 Like

I belong to such a group, but we set up a ā€œtraditionalā€ project. All contributing members must move their own observations to it from monthly outings. If you wish to see observations from a particular outing, you simply filter on that date. No real maintenence and has already passed between 3 owners so far.
https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/south-carolina-association-of-naturalists-scan

1 Like