At what time of year do butterflies prepare for diapause?

I’m in Manitoba, Canada. A couple of days ago I found a Black swallowtail larva in my garden. I brought it inside, and it immediately prepared to pupate. It has done so now.
Since this is late August, does anyone know whether this pupa will overwinter, or does the butterfly emerge? I have read that these butterflies overwinter as pupae.
I would think it is too late in the season for another generation, but I know little about butterfly diapause.
If this pupa is in diapause, could someone also shed some light on how I keep a pupa alive for the next 6 to 8 months (perhaps longer). Since I brought it inside, I kind of feel responsible for it!

2 Likes

I’ve successfully overwintered black swallowtail pupae. I took the twig it was on and placed it in a roomy but not huge plastic container (I think it was from mixed nuts or something. Screw top) with one side removed and window screen glued over it. I then just placed it outside where it would be exposed to the elements but secured against blowing around.

Edit: If you’ve got a screen porch, unheated garage or some other safe but not heated location that would work well. It’s amazing the weather a seemingly-fragile little structure can endure.

4 Likes

What were the lowest temperatures you experienced? We can get down to -20 to -30 C.

Perhaps its also related to temperature as well? I found a Papilio glaucus pupa in late November last year and took it home. It took just under a month for the adult to eclose, and that probably takes into account my room being much warmer than the outside that time of year. Then again Georgia (US state, not country) doesn’t get as cold as it does in Canada for sure.

2 Likes

We get those occasionally but not regularly. If the species is native to your area it’s been surviving those temps in pupal form for thousands of years, which is pretty amazing.

1 Like

Maybe this could be helpful
https://www.joyfulbutterfly.com/overwinter-chrysalis/

1 Like

Thank you all for the help. I have a better sense of how to proceed now. I think I’ll use the outdoors method rather than the fridge. Probably in the enclosed front porch where it will get light cues.

2 Likes

This is an other thing that I found about Butterfly Diapause

1 Like

Thank you very much!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.