Automatic DQA added by "iNaturalist"?

I just uploaded an image of Tropical Milkweed which is clearly a waif (= wild, but non-native, not planted) and it seemed to get an automatic DQA of “not wild” from “iNaturalist”. I countermanded it with my own vote of “wild”.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/178743785
Is there some criterion set up for this or other taxa to be automatically tagged as such based on the taxon, location, etc.?

1 Like

This happens when most of observations of that species in that area get tagged as “not wild”: https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/help#quality

• The system will vote that the observation is not wild/naturalized if there are at least 10 other observations of a genus or lower in the smallest county-, state-, or country-equivalent place that contains this observation and 80% or more of those observations have been marked as not wild/naturalized.

If you look at the map overlays there’s an option to see Casual observations (usually, this’ll be not-wild tagged ones for things popular as garden plants) - do this on your observation and the map explodes blue. That’ll be those 80%!

Where they’re genuine garden escapes you can just vote against the system like that. I have to do this with English Lavender fairly often - most observations of it around here are of garden plants but it’s a not infrequent garden escape where I am.

6 Likes

I have to do this with yucca in my area. It’s ironically somewhat of a self-made problem. We got a lot of observations of the planted ones on campus during our bioblitz events and I diligently went through and marked them cultivated. That apparently put our county over the 80% threshold for the species so iNat also started marking the ones clearly growing wild as cultivated. So I’ve seen it flip from having to mark the cultivated ones to having to look through the “captive” observations and marking the wild ones.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.