Why are some taxa automatically "captive/cultivated"?

I’ve noticed that some taxa are automatically marked by iNaturalist as “captive/cultivated” in the Data Quality Assessment (mostly for plants, but also for things like cats and dogs). I believe this is tied to location as well.
Is there a way to edit which taxa can have this feature activated depending on locality? It would be a pretty efficient way to deal with the overwhelming number of cultivated plant observations, especially for curators like myself.

1 Like

‘The system will vote that the observation is not wild/naturalized if there are at least 10 other observations of a genus or lower in the smallest county-, state-, or country-equivalent place that contains this observation and 80% or more of those observations have been marked as not wild/naturalized’

9 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Does this mean we can induce the automatic marking to begin happening if we are diligent in marking existing observations captive, or perhaps even if we make additional observations ourselves to get the number up to 10?

5 Likes

I went through and marked Ficus pumila in my county as captive, then tried putting the ID of Ficus pumila on one of my observations. It was not marked captive, so the effect is not immediate. I will try it again later.

2 Likes

Not sure if the system is responsive to subsequent IDs on existing observations, or only to initial ID at initial upload. Does anyone know?

1 Like

I tested it on an existing observation of mine and the system voted as “not wild” right when my ID changed.

1 Like

Yes as Cassi pointed out, one (the initial) ID is all it takes.

1 Like

Update: 21 of 25 or 84% of Ficus pumila in the county marked as casual was not enough to induce the automatic casual status, but marking all 25 as casual induced the effect immediately. One of them is casual due to lack of photo, so maybe the system doesn’t count that one? That’s still confusing though because 20 of 25 is exactly 80% and even 20 of 24 is 83%.

I don’t think the system is counting all casual observations, just those voted captive/cultivated.

I’d love to have that as default on some of the hybrids - Who’d ever believe in Gladiolus x hortulanus out in the wild?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.