Automatically unmark a previously reviewed observation if a subsequent ID that disagrees with the community ID is suggested

This is for those of us who mark observations as reviewed if the community ID is correct/identified to an acceptable level. However, there have been a few instances where a differing, sometimes incorrect ID is added after the observation has been marked as reviewed, resulting in an incorrect community ID which will not be detected easily unless one goes through their reviewed observations. This feature is to facilitate the detection of such “changes” to the IDs of observations that have already been reviewed, so that if the subsequent IDs added are incorrect, they can be quickly rectified

Alternatively, it would be equally as good if there was a way of showing which observations that have already been marked as reviewed have since undergone a change to their community IDs

I think this is a great idea. I recently noticed the problem, too - if I identify an Unknown as, say, a fungus, then someone else comes along and says it’s a slime mold, I will get a notification but might not remember to check it. If I then go through the observations of Life with disagreements, it won’t show up.

3 Likes

I really like this idea!

I review a lot of obs that I’ll never add an ID to, and never want to see in my identify page again. Are you saying it should unmark as reviewed whether or not you’ve yet added an ID?

5 Likes

Can you give a specific example of something you

?
Most things I review without adding an ID to are things I can’t identify further than they already have been, but I would be interested in seeing them again if disagreement occurs. Maybe this could be an opt-out setting (as in, it automatically takes effect, but you can choose not to have it on your IDs).

1 Like

With personal settings to opt in (for me), or opt out for bouteloua

2 Likes

yeah looks like I have almost 70,000 reviewed obs unIDed by me that I definitely don’t want to see in identify anymore :) Browsing through, some of them are:

obs I marked captive/cultivated
obs where I addressed a data quality issue
obs in Unknown or state of matter Life that I have no idea on an ID and don’t care to see anymore
obs where I withdrew an ID and didn’t feel like adding a new one
my own obs I didn’t feel like IDing
obs I reviewed for ID accuracy and didn’t care at the time to add my own ID
lots of obs I just don’t want to see anymore because they’re not identifiable by me, and i already know i’m not interested in getting updates on them. If I were, I would click to follow for new IDs or comments.

11 Likes

Same here. I’d estimate I have about 50000 of those. I’d hate it if hundreds or even thousands of those turned up in my pool again.

5 Likes

Not perfect, but how about sorting your reviewed and unIDed Identify page observations by date updated?

4 Likes

I see what you mean. I too have many observations i don’t want to see again and this could be a problem if they get unmarked. Maybe it would be good to have a custom setting to allow the user to choose which taxa they want unmarked for re-review and which ones they want to ignore, kinda like another filter

Yes it does, but it sounds like the original poster wanted to see observations on which they have no ID.

2 Likes

I have so many reviewed observations I never want to see again, I have a completely different feature request about it

3 Likes

[Edited to fix a misunderstanding of mine.]

I have two suggestions:

1. Add your own IDs, then iNat will automatically notify you.

It’s great that people are looking at existing iNat observations to decide of they’re correctly identified. If that’s the case, why not tap “A” to agree with the community ID? You’ve put in the effort to check that ID and there’s real value in that. Plus, iNat will automatically mark the observation as Reviewed and automatically set you up to Follow the observation. Then, if the observation gets a new ID you’ll get a notification.

[Caveat: I realize that there only a couple options for the type of identifications you’re notified about. It would be great to have more flexibility there.]

I realize that some people don’t like the idea of “piling on” with confirming IDs, but I’m not really sure why they feel it’s a problem if you have genuinely reviewed the Identification. For me, checking Reviewed without adding an ID is a way to prevent no-photo and multiple-photo observations from clogging my future search results.

2.\ You can use the Follow functionality even if you don’t add an ID

Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 12.38.11 PM

Then you’ll get notifications about any new IDs for that observation. Yes, it still doesn’t give you an option to discriminate diverging IDs, which would be great. But it’s available for anyone who wants to track an observation that they chose not to ID.

6 Likes

Yes, this is only when you give an ID to an observation. But what if i don’t want to give an ID to everything i see? This is a personal preference of mine but i only give IDs when the community taxon can be improved to a finer level or if it is blatantly wrong- i don’t normally give agreeing IDs to observations that already have correct IDs because i don’t believe i should waste my time repeating correct information that others have already given (unless someone tags me for my opinion; again, a personal preference)

So the purpose of this request is for observations that i don’t give IDs to which i have still marked as reviewed to reduce my needs ID pile

Thanks, but please see my response to @brian_d

I think both of your suggestions make sense, but they both require me to do extra work (give an ID every single time, predict/anticipate which observations will likely have a change in ID in the future etc… it seems a bit impractical… to me at least)

I should stress that i’m not one of those identifiers who clicks the agree button on everything i see, otherwise i would definitely get notifications and wouldn’t need to create this thread

1 Like

That’s right

I’d like this if it only marked it as unreviewed if the new ID actually changed the status. It would help me keep track of the cicadas I work on to see if something gets changed; ie moved up to a higher level of taxonomy, or taken out of research grade.
Lots of good thoughts and points on this thread, but this is a version that I would find particularly useful, especially if you could also opt out in the settings so @bouteloua and others who have reviewed massive numbers don’t get flooded.

3 Likes

What’s the url to exclude those ided by you?

I do think there should be a way for someone who has marked an observation as “Reviewed” to be aware of significant changes, but, given the already long list of Feature Requests, it would probably be worthwhile for us to identify an acceptable workaround in the meantime.

You say:

But what if i don’t want to give an ID to everything i see? This is a personal preference of mine but i only give IDs when the community taxon can be improved to a finer level or if it is blatantly wrong- i don’t normally give agreeing IDs to observations that already have correct IDs because i don’t believe i should waste my time repeating correct information that others have already given (unless someone tags me for my opinion; again, a personal preference)

It is absolutely up to you to decide what you want to ID and how you want to use iNat. But, considering the reasons you provide, I would suggest that adding agreeing IDs could save you time and improve your visibility into subsequent ID changes.

Let’s say you’re using the Identify interface to review a bunch of butterfly observations (maybe all Papilionoidea added in the past 7 days within a specific place). Maybe you checked the options to include both RG and Needs ID observations, so that you can correct any existing IDs that might be wrong. As you navigate through those observations, you’ll come across plenty that are already at RG and which your experience tells you have the correct ID. My understanding is that right now, you would tap R or click the “Reviewed” box and move to the next. Instead, you can tap A or click the Agree button, which will do 3 things: add a new ID listed under your name based on the current community ID, mark the observation as reviewed, and add the observation to your Follow list.

With the above workflow, there is no additional effort, you gain the benefit that the Follow functionality can notify you of future ID changes, and you’ve added more confidence to that community ID.

If someone later came and added an incorrect ID, there’s a chance that your ID would mean the community ID stays unchanged. Whether or not that later ID changes the community ID, you’ll get a notification and can decide whether/how to act. There could be quite a few times when the new ID is wrong, and there will likely also be a few when the new ID is worth considering. Those are both things I want to know for the taxa I focus on.

I do understand that this approach requires one to slightly change the personal meaning of “Reviewed” vs. “ID’ed”, but it doesn’t appear to involve extra effort, and the effects all appear to be beneficial.

3 Likes

" I would suggest that adding agreeing IDs could save you time and improve your visibility into subsequent ID changes."

I’m gonna have to very respectfully disagree with this statement for two reasons:

1. Adding an agreeing ID each time means that i will get notifications from other users chiming in subsequently, which in most cases will not do anything to the community ID because they are correct. This means that i will be getting even more notifications than i’m currently getting, while still not being able to easily sift out the ones that actually need attention- because there is nothing to distinguish concurring IDs from erroneous ones- they all get pushed into my notifications the same way

2. If i were to attempt to decide which observations i want to stop receiving notifications from because of this huge influx of notifications, i would still have to spend time predicting and anticipating, which ultimately does not save me any time nor make the process of detecting the observations that need attention any easier nor any more efficient

Assuming for every observation, there are an average of 2 or 3 others agreeing after me, and i identify 50 observations each day- that’s 100-150 more notifications to thoroughly look through every day and if i add that to the notifications i’m already getting, that is a lot. The additional effort comes from having to deal with all of this extra “noise” that should not require my attention in the first place and for that i can’t see this as improving my visibility in any way

3 Likes