Bird recap 2022

Oh, wow. I know about the bog; never been there. Drove by the area on a road trip from Minneapolis. If we hadn’t been following a friend up to Grand Marais (and then on to Tom Lake), I would’ve made a plea to stop for a while.

1 Like

Wow, Tom Lake is up there! That part of Minnesota meets our needs for beauty. Hope you can get to Sax-Zim sometime

1 Like

Me, too. That whole area is gorgeous. Our friend’s cabin was tucked away in clearing just a short hike from the lake. And you indirectly reminded me to look for photos from that trip, so thank you. I found a couple that are good for observations, so I’ll try and get them uploaded in the next few days.

(I just wish that I had had the camera out when Daniel had to try and explain to our dog that the moose probably didn’t want to make friends.) :laughing:

2 Likes

Is it just me or is January a terrible time to start a new bird list? It’s as if the birds that you saw every day in December just suddenly disappear. The weather has been terrible here which hasn’t helped at all but the birds are all keeping a low profile even when the sun does come out. I’ve been out and about most days with my eyes and ears open and I’ve only managed 29 species so far.

2 Likes

I would say it’s just you - who thinks that 29 bird species in 8 days is not much. That’s 3.6 on average. If you keep up that pace throughout the year… would be rather spectacular! ;-)

3 Likes

Most of those are background birds. The ones that are always about whatever the time of year, either in and around the garden or on the local pond. I’ve had a handful of lucky sightings but I’d like to get my list up to at least 50 species by the end of January. If nothing else it keeps me motivated to get out and brave the rain, and I’d like to catch the winter migrants before they head back north rather than wait all year to tick them off in the Autumn.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.