Cannot understand why this is "casual"?

Observation https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/86835303 should be at “Needs Id” level, but it’s “Casual”. Allitems in the “Research Grade Qualification” have a green check mark - which is also wrong (only one id to species level). “No, it’s as good as it can be” was checked by the guy who gave the species level id.
Looks like something went wrong, or am I just confused?

It looks like the observation taxon is Fomitopsis betulina Birch Polypore while the community taxon is Kingdom Fungi.

The observer checked the box “No, it’s as good as it can be” in response to “Based on the evidence, can the Community Taxon still be confirmed or improved?” Basically, that’s a vote to say that the ID Fungi can’t be improved on. I believe iNat’s logic is then assigning the observation to “Casual” as it’s not good enough for RG and it’s no longer “Needs ID”.

The fix is to vote Yes on Can the Community Taxon still be confirmed or improved? (Which I and @carnifex have just done.)

4 Likes

You were faster :)

2 Likes

Thanks! I missed that check. Tried to fix it by saying “yes” on is this wild, but to no avail and got confused lol

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.