Commonly beautiful? (Guilty!)

I am relieved to say that I have not!

2 Likes

Not sure about that. For some cultures, white is the color of mourning.

4 Likes

If it wasn’t so common… what a lovely thought. Very aggressive at the feeder. Kind of a bully.

3 Likes

My son raves about them regardless. I think there’s something very sweet about being really excited and interested in things that are so plentiful and easy to find/see. Especially in a world where it’s hard for a lot of people to feel excited about like, anything. I try to see things like him more often.

9 Likes

Northern flicker! I love them. I have an amazing number of strongly mediocre photos of them in my observations because I can’t stop taking pictures of them.

17 Likes

Have you seen the videos about starlings in Rome?

They get cameras right into the murmurations.

Also, you don’t want to park the car outside. Unbelievable.

https://youtu.be/UVko9jyAkQg

6 Likes

So amazing!

2 Likes

For most it was, which only shows that this colour represents supernatural aspects of life, while black was used as a wedding colour, it definitely isn’t as popular nowadays.

3 Likes

I’ve seen a flight of starlings fend off a kestrel on my way back home from work. Individually they’re gorgeous birds, as a mass they’re absolutely awe-inspiring, and that was several orders of magnitude smaller than in the video!

2 Likes

That’s easy for me.
Horneros and chalk-browed mockingbirds are two super common native birds that every time I see them, I just take another pic!

1 Like

(c) Pyrrhocoris apterus

9 Likes

(c) Bellis perennis

8 Likes

(c) Marchantia polymorpha

14 Likes

So where are the polar bear rump photos? LOL!

6 Likes

I’ve grown more fond of them over time, but they were always a bird I found unattractive, even compared to their invasive peers, the house sparrows (and arguably rock pigeons, though they’re less harmful than the former IIRC). Oily little bullies, but with a remarkable range of vocalization.

1 Like

But why should we look at them as invasive? They’re native here, they’re looking wonderful, esp. different subspecies, sound amazing, and they don’t do anything bad, but eat worms.

1 Like

Xanthoria parietina

It’s by far the most observed lichen around here. And it’s so pretty! I always considered yellow my favorite color, so maybe that’s part of it? I’m clearly not the only one though, there’s 42k observations of it (for a lichen that’s unheard of). And there’s dozens of observers who have 100ds of observations of it :smile:

17 Likes

Oh, I meant in North America. Here they’re pests. Sort of like Eastern gray squirrels in Europe, I suppose. Charming here, bullies there.

2 Likes

That’s a lovely shot! The colors are beautiful.

1 Like

Because after winter THAT is the most stunning color out there! The tiniest speck will catch my eye.

2 Likes