Local dream taxa

What’s one taxa that’s found in your area that you want to see but have yet to do? This especially applies for taxa that other people have seen that you have not.

Personally one species I’ve always wanted to see is the Blue Fungus Beetle which has been seen a decent number of times around my area but I can’t seem to come across one. Other rarer taxa come to mind too like several beetle species but this one has always stuck in my mind as something I want to see.

7 Likes

i have a whole list thats basically this. some arent local, most are though, or at least mostly local.

4 Likes

I’m still waiting to see mountain king snake. Mountain beaver too but I guess no one really sees those

8 Likes

skink:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=1268&subview=table&taxon_id=73788
to be fair, I haven’t put much effort in.

3 Likes

I live less than an hour from Green Salamander habitat but I’ve never been able to find one.

1 Like

I am dying to find Galearis rotundifolia and Cypripedium fasciculatum. Both are rare in my area but should be possible to find with some luck, the challenge is getting the timing right.

Peripatus for me, but I seldom get to their likely habitat… I’ll get pleasantly surprised one day when turning over a log!

2 Likes

One of these days, I will see a night snake.

2 Likes

Dynastes tityus! I once found a grub that I think was one, but no one has ever chimed in on the observation. I want to find an adult female, so I can raise some of the grubs. They are said to be easy to raise, and I have experience with many other species of insects, including a couple Dynastinae.

There’s a woodpecker that visits my grandma’s feeder, but never when I’m there.

3 Likes

Nine-Banded Armadillos are supposed to be moving into my area. I think I’ve seen a couple of road kills but always when I couldn’t stop to verify.

1 Like

I’d like to see a Luna moth again–fairly common in Delaware. I saw one once in the 90s but not since. I’d also like to see a Cecropia moth and some of the other large, beautiful moths that pop up in Delaware or northern PA on a fairly regular basis.

2 Likes

Arum lily frog
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/23370-Hyperolius-horstockii

1 Like

I’m just hoping to see a beaver at the moment

2 Likes

I really really really want to see a Sabine’s gull

1 Like

I’ve seen luna moths many times here in central PA. Check out screen doors at night when the porch light is on, that’s the most common place I’ve seen them.

1 Like

Will do. :)

I have seen the Cook Inlet Beluga whales several times usually during August as they follow the salmon going into local streams but not recently nor since I became a participant in iNaturalist. I would very much like to add it to my growing list of species. I wish plants would be be identified quicker but do somewhat understand the complexities of plants causing that. Take roses for example.

3 Likes

I’d love to see Blackburnian Warblers or Pine Barrens Treefrogs, yet I live just outside of their range for both species. Just too north for the treefrogs and too south to be in range of Blackburnians when they migrate. Caracaras have also been one of my white whales when it comes to trips down to florida, along with Roseate Spoonbills and Rough Greensnake.

UPDATE: I saw the larvae of a Blue Fungus Beetle! Still none of the adults unfortunately.

8 Likes