What's on your personal wishlist?

As per the title, what species would you love to see in person?

Despite their supposed commonality (and my love of lepidopterans) I have yet to encounter a Cecropia or Luna moth. I’ve only seen foxes a couple times in my life, and I haven’t encountered a single one since I started iNatting, so that would be wonderful as well. I’m also quite fascinated by anomalous organisms and would love to see a piebald, albino, gynandromorph, etc of any kind!

8 Likes

Long-tailed Rosefinch, but it doesn’t live where I am now, plus answers from this topic.

5 Likes

Wow those are beautiful! I don’t know much about birds just yet but I recently discovered rosefinches and they’re some of my favorite birds now!

3 Likes

Bird - spoon-billed sandpiper
Bee - Perdita minima
Moth - painted schinia
Plant - Penstemon harbourii
Mammal - any wild flying squirrel [edit] and jaguarundi or ocelot!
Reptile - Gila monster
And this wasp - https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/75731994

5 Likes

Chelonoidis, which we will see on Galapagos in 2023!

4 Likes

In my current area (Oman)? Pseudoathyreus zianii is at the top of my wish list followed by Anthracocentrus arabicus. I would also love to see an Arabian leopard. Outside of my area? Too many to name.

4 Likes

Since a few months I have been exploring the whole of my state to look for the Royal Bengal Tiger. This is one of the items on my wish list. The others in my wishlist include Sloth Bears and Cheetahs.
Under my Reptile Wishlist I would love to see a Kamodo Dragon(mostly seen in Indonesia), Perentie (found abundantly in Australia) and the Gila Monster (very majestic)

4 Likes

For me it would have to be the Ladybid Spider (Eresus kollari) - I went looking for them twice last year but didn’t find any, really hoping for one this year!

Otherwise I also really want to find a Neelid springtail.

6 Likes

Too many to name!

I’d love to see any of the vagrant Antarctic/subantarctic seals – which includes southern elephant seals, subantarctic fur seals and the Antarctic ice seals (crabeater, weddell, ross). Among mammals, beaked whales also top my wishlist. One day…

Aside from fleeting glimpses of scurrying skinks, I’ve never had much luck with reptiles. Hoping to change that this year. NZ herpetofauna is beautiful, diverse, and underappreciated. Naultinus and the harlequin gecko, Tukutuku rakiurae, are especially striking – I just can’t get over those colours and intricate patterns!

I’m also hoping to go out in search of an Australasian bittern.

5 Likes

Species of Enceladus or any water moons of the outer solar system are on top of my list. They’d top anything I could find here on earth for the sheer sensation of it. But if I cannot have that I’d settle for a Stegosaurus.

5 Likes

In this country, I have a set

European turtle dove
Sociable lapwing
Arabian sand boa
Whale shark
Eurasian curlew
Pallas’ gull
Steppe eagle
Giant spike-tailed agama
Trident bat

3 Likes

I see we’re both after critically endangered charadriiformes

2 Likes

I actually dont really have a special wish list… More general as I am just so excited for any new species I see.
Any mammal in the wild is surely amazing, as it is often not easy to encounter them in many regions of the world. I also would like to see an Onyhophora again and this time document it.

However, more general I hoped to reach the 3000 mark this year, which should be easy in a country like Colombia. … for personal reasons it will now not happen this year, but maybe the next.

5 Likes

Any big cat would be spectacular, especially African lions, any tiger, and/or a snow leopard (longshot, but maybe I can head to the Himalayas to see them one day). Plus a rhino, giraffe, or elephant in the wild would be incredible. Trying to convince some friends to go on a safari with me in the not too distant future.

Eventually I also want do do a guided tour to Antarctica (my iNat goals are kind of a subset of my overall travel goals) to see whales, penguins, and hopefully a leopard seal.

In the US (or Canada since the last two will probably be easier there): pronghorns, a rattlesnake species or two, manatee, American crocodile, red wolf, polar bear, and caribou. Some of the US ones will be hard because I have some hangups about revisiting places I’ve already been since I still have so much to see, but I’m going to try to make time in between bigger trips.

3 Likes

A living elasmobranch. Not fussy about what at this stage.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&taxon_id=47273&user_id=tracc&verifiable=any

2 Likes

Keeping my wishlist personal as well as possibly “doable”
I wish to see and photo document four new ( animal/vegetable/mineral anything) every time I am able to get outside.
That should keep me going for the next three seasons.
I would like to have the fourth season for learning about who I photographed and making ids.

3 Likes

I’m similar in that my wishlist would be better framed as encompassing regions rather than specific species.

I want to see all the birds, large mammals, herptofauna, and famous plants and flowers of the below:

North America
South America
Australia
Eurasia (yes the entire landmass)
New Zealand, Japan, Hawaii, Galapagos Islands, and other Pacific islands
Madagascar
Tropical Africa

I can be greedy, can’t I? I want to see it all

4 Likes

Threatened plant species like Fritillaria obliqua, and rare cicadas like Cicadatra hyalina and Cicadetta hannekeae…

1 Like

The Kermode or spirit bear (Ursus americanus kermodeii) is at the top of my list. They are a white (but not albino) subspecies of the far more common black bear.

1 Like

personally I want to see all the native catchflies, but mainly
ophrys fuciflora
platanthera bifolia
Spiranthes romanzoffiana.

1 Like