Commonly Cultivated Plants Wiki

Would anyone be interested in making a forum wiki compiling the most common cultivated plants that are uploaded to iNaturalist? I already have a working list.
I feel like this would be a good resource for our identifiers especially during the CNC when the site gets swamped with cultivated plant observations

1 Like

You should list the plants you have so far, so we don’t suggest something you already have. :)

Here’s what I have so far from a 5 minute brainstorm. Probably lots of typos and misspellings in there cause I’m tired

Acer palmatum
Adenium
Agapanthus
Allamanda
Aloe
Alpinia
Anthurium
Arundina
Bauhinia
Bougainvillea
Caladium
Catharanthus
Chrysanthemum
Citrus
Clivia
Codiaeum variegatum
Cordyline
Cosmos
Costus
Crassula ovata
Cycas
Dendrobium
Dendrobium nobile
Dieffenbachia
Dimorphotheca
Dracaena
Epidendrum radicans
Epipremnum
Euphorbia millii
Ficus benjamina
Ficus pumila
Ginkgo biloba
Guzmania
Hemerocallis
Hemerocallis
Hibiscus
Hippeastrum
Hydrangea
Ixora
Jacaranda
Lagerstroemia
Lantana
Magnolia
Nandina domestica
Nerium oleander
Oxalis triangularis
Phalaenopsis
Plectranthus scutellaroides
Plumeria
Ravenala madagascariensis
Rosa
Rosa chinensis
Salvia rosmarinus
Sansevieria
Schefflera
Spathiphyllum
Spathoglottis
Strelitzia nicolai
Strelitzia reginae
Thunbergia
Trachelospermum
Viola
Yucca gigantea
Zinnia

1 Like

You can also see what it is on iNat directly: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?captive=true&place_id=any&subview=grid&taxon_id=211194&verifiable=any&view=species

2 Likes

I’m always wary of lists like this because they are so region specific.

Where I currently work there are a bunch of plants on that list that are native or are wild and invasive.

Any list of cultivated, invasive, native etc species needs to have a geographic location associated with it.

5 Likes

I see quite a few tree philodendron (Thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum) pictures. It seems to be one of the plants that attracts attention during greenhouse visits. Also various species of Aechmea and Begonia, most of them hybrid cultivars.

That list is for where? Needs to be the very first item on the list.

A chunk of your list would be Wild in South Africa.

2 Likes

I am aware that when the actual list is compiled, there needs to be a geographic location tied to it (or perhaps geographic subcategories). However, most of the ones I’ve added so far are based on what I see commonly uploaded from a wide array of countries (including the US, Mexico, Taiwan, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, etc)

This is why this is a work in progress!

1 Like

I think I see cultivated Schlumbergera, Kalanchoe, Garden Petunia (Petunia × atkinsiana), a bit, so depending on location you may want to add those to the list.

Of course, it could just be that those are NOT common and are just among the few that I can recognize.

Oh and landscape agaves and prickly pears seem to show up a lot.
And food plants from gardens (tomatoes, pumpkins, squashes, etc)

When using such a list, it’s important to remember that commonly cultivated plants may show up at least as waif, from time to time. In otherwords, though they’re usually cultivated, once in a while they are wild.

That said, a list of commonly cultivated plants could be useful for if I help with the Hong Kong school kids project again, or any school trip to an arboretum. (Though sometimes the kids are kind enough to post the label with their plant.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.