Continuesly having to approve Google account log in

I have connected my Google accoun to iNat, but every time I go to log in via Google I have to approve the permissions. My google account is connected to my iNat account (in settings) and the same for iNat in my google settings.
Does this happen to everyone else or is there a way to permanently approve the permissions and just log in every time?
Thank to anybody who has any imput.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve had the same issue. I stopped using Google to log in because of it.

1 Like

I use google login but after logging in I modify the cookie expiration time to 1 year using Chrome Developer Tools so I don’t have to log in all the time. It would be easy for iNaturalist to fix this for everyone

2 Likes

Yes, it’s something I’ve also had happen in Chrome, on both Windows & Mac.

1 Like

Unforutnately it’s not something we can really control.

In general I’d always reocmmend using a username/email plus password rather than rely on a third party to log in. There have been times Facebook (when we supported Facebook log in) was down and some people couldn’tt log in to their iNat account. With an in-browser password manager, a third party one (I use 1Password, for example), or an OS one (eg Apple Keychain) it’s pretty easy to log in with a password.

1 Like

Yup, very irritating. Mind you I tend not to log out very much… every time I log in I get two emails and a text from Google, warning me that iNat has access to stuff! Phone notifications: Swipe, swipe, swipe…

wouldnt you just need to add :expire_after => 1.month to https://github.com/inaturalist/inaturalist/blob/main/config/initializers/session_store.rb ?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.