Cool fossil find in the UK

I know iNaturalist isn’t especially for fossils but I know lots of users still like them, myself included. I was pleasantly surprised when this article came up in the local news today: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox13now.com/news/national/giant-180-million-year-old-fossil-discovered-in-u-k%3F_amp=true

It seems like an impressive and noteworthy find that I thought maybe some people would find intriguing. I know I did. And so did the local news, apparently. And so did my son. In fact, now my son is determined to hunt for dinosaur bones himself so hopefully the next article any of you read about finding really cool and impressive dinosaur bones is about me. Fingers crossed.

5 Likes

Dinosaur bones are hard to come by, but there are plenty of nice collecting sites throughout the US. It’s a fun hobby and you don’t need to spend much (if anything) to get into it. Fossilguy.com has a nice list of the better collecting sites on the eastern US, but there are plenty of region-specific books out there too.

4 Likes

I’ve actually had some luck with finding fossils with my son before but not the big cool ones that people dream about finding. I don’t really think that’s a realistic goal and neither does my son, but that won’t stop us from trying! It’s fun, above all. Utah has a lot of land that’s been known to have different fossils and a lot of it is relatively unbothered because there’s just so much. Makes the possibilities seem endless.

Thanks for the link!

3 Likes

Meet Bruce, found in Manitoba.
bruce

2 Likes

I’m more of a Trilobite person. I’ve loved them since I was a kid, and found some in the oil shales around Georgian Bay, and one in the Stonewall Quarry north of Winnipeg. Most. Exiting. Find. Ever.

The day length is longer, in my case!

1 Like

My son wears this almost every morning. He’s a big dinosaur, and occasionally dragon, guy.

2 Likes

I wanted to be a Palaeontologist when I was younger. At age 18, my parents convinced me to go into something more practical. I took entomology. Still love fossils, though!

1 Like

Sometimes fossil locations will surprise you. I did my M.S. in North Carolina, and just behind my apartment complex was an urban stream. Exploring the stream one day, I found lots of Exogyra – the Cretaceous oyster that looks like a modern-day slipper snail.

Yet in another way, it was unsurprising. The Fall Line was once the coast, so all of today’s Coastal Plain was built of accumulated marine sediments as the sea gradually receded.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.