Could one person observe all living animal families?

I don’t think it would be possible. It might be fun trying to get all the reasonable ones (you aren’t going to get the deep benthic ones probably). In fact, getting a majority of even marine fishes would be nearly impossible. Better limit yourself to terrestrial species.
I’m at 287 families of Chordates. Finishing that group seems impossible. And someone would split off new families faster than you could get the old ones. You would have to freeze your taxonomy at some point in time (maybe 1758 sounds good ;-) ).
I’ve got records of 22 of the 31 families of lizards and 5 of the 9 salamander families. There’s two groups I might be able to finish?

1 Like

for benthic you might get lucky with jetsam on beach walks?

There are avid SCUBA divers who have probably seen more families of marine fishes than of terrestrial animals. I’m only a casual snorkeler, and I have observed 26 ray-finned fishes, as compared with 27 birds, 10 non-avian reptiles, 6 amphibians, and 5 mammals.

1 Like

Oh no… you just gave me new iNat goals…now I want to document all of the 132 spider families (only have 47 so far)

… never saw this possibility to filter before.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.