Counting IDs made per identifier during an ID-a-thon?

I’m wondering if there’s a way to count the number of IDs made by individual identifiers during a specified period of time, like during an ID-a-thon. I can get the overall numbers fairly accurately by just checking at the beginning and end of an event, but some people would like to know their own numbers, understandably. Short of noting beginning and ending numbers of IDs for each person (and making the assumption they stick to the parameters of the ID-a-thon), I haven’t come up with any more efficient way of measuring this. Thanks for your advice!

3 Likes

Probably not the best way, but if you can make a search parameter that all the observations targeted by the IDathon fall under you could make a project, and use the project stats for IDs? This would only work in a subset of cases though I think. Depending on the group of observations, you might still need to note beginning vs. ending numbers, but this would at least make certain that all IDs in the beginning and ending totals met the parameters of the IDathon.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure @arboretum_amy knows how – I don’t remember, unfortunately! It’s been a while since I’ve run an event here haha

1 Like

That’s what I do for the overall numbers, but I haven’t figured out how to break that down to the contributions by each identifier. Is there a way to filter for when an ID was added to an observation? That’s a stumbling block, as far as I can tell.

What’s an ID-a-thon and how do I join one? Are they usually reserved for animals or are some focused on other clades? I’d be interested in a plant ID-a-thon

1 Like

An ID-a-thon is an identification marathon, where participants work hard to ID as many Needs ID observations as possible in a specified period of time. They certainly aren’t just reserved for animals. We’re not supposed to advertise projects on the form (understandably; otherwise, we’d be flooded with Join Us appeals!), so I can’t point you to particular ID-a-thons, but maybe if you go search projects on the iNat website, you’ll come up with some that interest you.

2 Likes

This seems like a good enough setup to keep track of the IDs of a few participants. You can check the Research Grade, Needs ID and Captive boxes separately to determine who’s ID’ed the most of each quality grade. With more than say, a dozen participants, the Download option in the bottom right is probably the most effective method, but I don’t know its technicalities.

Absolutely, Pisum made us a table to orgnanize the results of an API call for just this situation.

What follows is a copy of a direct message I sent to @lynnharper in January of 2022, when we were discussing her desire to run an ID-a-thon.

Here’s the URL I used to watch the IDblitz results, edited to show just you and me as the identifiers:

https://jumear.github.io/stirfry/iNatAPIv1_identifications_identifiers.html?own_observation=false&is_change=false&user_id=arboretum_amy,lynnharper&current=true&per_page=90&order=desc&order_by=created_at&d1=2021-12-10&d2=2021-12-11T23:59:59

Second to last column shows how many IDs you and I made in the 48 hours specified. I’ll break down the components for you:
own_observation=false removes IDs made on one’s own observations
is_change=false removes IDs that came about automatically due to taxon swap
current=true removes withdrawn IDs
&per_page=90&order=desc&order_by=created_at these three just have to do with the way the API spits out results, before they go into the code for the table, I don’t mess with them
&d1=2021-12-10 the event start time, since the hour is not specified it’s assumed to be 12 AM UTC. If you want to make the event start in your own time zone you’ll have to specify that.
&d2=2021-12-11T23:59:59 the event end time, with the hour, minutes and seconds specified in military time. It’s important to specify the exact end time, because if you don’t it will assume 12 AM (the start of the day) rather than 11:59 PM (the end of the day) and thus cut out that whole day’s results. Alternatively you could say &d2=2021-12-12, aka 12 AM the date after, but my brain prefers it the other way for some reason. Lol.

At the top of the page you’ll notice the words (This page will accept most parameters from the iNaturalist Identification Identifiers API endpoint.) and if you click there it will show you a list of other parameters you could choose to put in the URL. I know they are a little confusing so feel free to ask me to clarify any of them.

7 Likes

Thanks, Amy! I’m glad someone has a memory of what you’ve told me before!

2 Likes

Meanwhile you can follow IDentifriday where people ask for help (that thread has been allowed to run …)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.