Create a drop-down menu for tags

Platform(s), such as mobile, website, API, other: website

URLs (aka web addresses) of any pages, if relevant:
observation page
Description of need:
Describe the iNaturalist community need that your requested feature addresses. Include screenshots, URLs, and other details to help us all understand the issue.
I hardly ever use tags, because I can’t remember them. I suppose I’m not the only one.
Feature request details:
In detail, describe the feature you are requesting. This includes its functionality, where the feature is implemented, and what it might look like. Screenshots or mock-ups are helpful. The idea is to have a concrete and actionable request which the community can discuss and vote on. It might change through discussion, but it’s much easier to iterate and talk about something specific.
I would like to use tags as personal organisation for observations, but I can’t, because I don’t remember what/ if I have used. Did I write two words together, or with dash or underscore, and which of the three languges that I am thinking in did I use? So it would be lovely to have a drop-down menu that shows what I have used - like here about projects. It would also eliminate spelling mistakes.

It could also be nice to see how many times a tag has been used for each suggestion…

5 Likes

You’ve got my vote!

Using a traditional project, instead of a tag, is a solution, while waiting for the release of this new feature.
https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/new_traditional
https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/new

Beware that the same tag name can be used (by chance) by different observers.
When searching for all observations tagged by clicking on the button showing the tag name, you get all observations tagged with this tag, not only your observations:

This is not very consistent because, anyway, one cannot add a tag to somebody else observations.

The button link should include a filter for the observer (in order to see only my observations with this tag). You might add this to your feature request, so that we get everything fixed together.

1 Like

We won’t be moving forward with this functionality. Tags are a pretty niche feature and we’ll be focusing dev time on other functionality.