Data not reported in a project

Hello everybody !

This is the link with my project : https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/biodiversite-du-mele-sur-sarthe

Does anyone know why the second data is not taken into account ?

Many thanks and best regards,
Matthieu LG

this is more of a data issue than a bug in the system. see: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/observations-on-edge-of-place-included-inconsistently/31136.

1 Like

On your second observation, the uncertainty bubble (the circle around the point) is so big that it falls partly outside the project boundary. Try shrinking the uncertainty and see if that helps. Nice project!

1 Like

Please only change uncertainty/accuracy circles when you are sure an observation falls within them and you can legitimately be more accurate. Please don’t change accuracy values solely to manipulate whether an observation is included in a place/project.

Many thanks janetwright !
That was the problem. :ok_hand:
Linked to manual recordings (observations via microscope) without on-board GPS coordinates.

cthawley, no risk here, all my observations are strictly made within the project space. And even more so for those who were excluded: the vague zone included the neighboring commune, separated by a river, which I never crossed! :rofl:

3 Likes

Good point, @cthawley. I was assuming that the observer could make a judgment on the uncertainty. But you bring up something I have wondered about. Where does the uncertainty bubble come from? I know you can set it manually, but most of us don’t do that. It just magically appears. I looked at recent submissions of mine and see different values for the uncertainty radius. How is iNat coming up with those?

1 Like

I do set all of mine manually, but for users that don’t there are sort of three (I think) options:

1. They are using a device that has some method for determining uncertainty. This is mostly phones, but some cameras with GPS do this (some don’t). It seems like the phone based methods vary and are not super precise, so this should really only be taken as a general estimate of precision

2. If the user selects the location by clicking on the map, the zoom of the map determines the size of the initial circle (more zoomed in smaller circle, more zoomed out bigger circle). The circle can still be adjusted via text and/or by dragging the circle.

3. The value is determined “by google” if the observer enters a specific location but not points. For a town name, for instance, the circle might be a couple km wide, ideally to encompass all of the town. Though again, this varies quite a bit. I don’t know how this is determined exactly, and it also depends on whether correct info about location boundaries is in google or not. So a general estimate, not precise.

4. Bonus: no accuracy value at all. This can happen if people enter points or import them from a GPS device with no accuracy field.

There maybe more? But I think that covers most observations (probably).

2 Likes