Disagreements with a Research Grade record

They might not know that unless they see the explanation. They might see the answer you disagreed with, think it is correct, and agree with it, thus countering your vote. Whereas if they see the explanation why it is wrong, they have the chance to rethink agreeing with it.

1 Like

This week I was goofing around with filters on my observations and found two that were “Animals”-- because someone tagged my observations of Bombus impatiens as “Animals”, which admittedly could have been carpenter bees, but were obviously bees. I was a bit annoyed at that. Since those particular observations have no photos, they’re unlikely to be reviewed by anyone at all to get bumped back out of kingdom rank.

That situation is what ‘opt out of community taxon’ is for.

4 Likes

Guilty. The (nearly) only genus I identify is Symphyotrichum, American asters. To quote nearly everybody: “Asters are hard!” There are aster characteristics that many people (including me) don’t think to photograph for an identification. Floras are difficult to read. The Wikipedia articles are improving and providing more information without as much botanical jargon or by explaining it, but it will take time, especially because there are close to 100 of them. I mention Wikipedia because on the About tab of a taxon in iNat, if there is a Wikipedia article, there will most likely be a copy of the text there, or at least a link to it.

Why are misidentified Research grade observations such an issue? Because iNat doesn’t operate in a vacuum. Research grade observations are used by GBIF, for example. I have no problem changing an ID that has been RG for quite awhile if it is incorrect. If I am looking for information to verify current distribution trends of a species, I will filter on RG and check every single one of them if a smaller group, and definitely those that turn up out of the normal range for a larger one.

Often, with Symphyotrichums, you can tell a plant is in the genus, but there are not the appropriate or enough photos to place it in a species. Bumping up to genus can be done as well. Sometimes I leave a note like to that affect. Sometimes I don’t. I would rather see a RG observation get bumped than one be incorrect.

7 Likes

Incidentally, the term maverick has the following etymology, as quoted from Wiktionary: “From the surname of Texas lawyer and politician Samuel Maverick (1803–1870), who refused to brand his cattle.” As a vegetarian, I approve this term, although perhaps independently-minded identifer would be more accurate.

Maverick has been discussed elsewhere on the forum. The term refers to the ID and not the identifier, I.e. the iD is “rogue” in relation to other agreeing IDs.

2 Likes

I’d love to see that discussion.

Sometimes my reason is, “it looks nothing like the thing you’re all suggesting”. It would be rude if I said that though, so I don’t say anything hoping they’ll figure that out for themselves.

6 Likes

Yes. Sometimes that’s very true!

2 Likes

When I disagree, often I don’t know the correct ID and the AI suggestions aren’t likely, so I don’t suggest an ID. I do try to let people know why I disagree and have often gotten responses on observations that are old, such yesterday there was a response on an observation from 8 years ago. When someone disagrees with an ID on my observation, I rarely get response when I ask why, so I think you should leave a message why at the time that you disagree while it is fresh in your mind.

I stopped asking why except with people I have interacted with before because so few answer. It cuts both ways. And a brief note why you disagree helps the next person who looks at an observation, even if not the observer.

How do you find the ID’ers of an organism group that spans countries? I am still looking for someone who will respond for the botany of Turkey and Greece. You make it sound like finding an IDer who till respond is easy…

Yes, you open iders list and choose geography, at least one of first 5 people is likely to respond.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forum. I recognize that sentiment. Although, I have also made ID’s that when attention is called to them I cringe and think ‘what was I thinking’! I blame the software…

1 Like

Well, in your case, I would look for IDers who ID Balkan countries or Italy. Or Israel. it is the same Meditteranean region and people may help. Most IDing botanists stick to theirs and neighbouring countries, but may be able to help in the similar botanical area, if tagged.

3 Likes

This post was very helpful for us to understand multiple perspectives. We have learned that some people find a change in an observation’s ID (theirs or another’s) without explanation to be confusing. We think their needs are to learn an\d/or for connection (partnership, participation, shared understanding). And they want their need met via a comment by the new identifier (provider of the maverick ID).

In response to those concerns, we have learned from some of the high-volume ID’ers (thousands, tens of thousands, and hundreds of thousands of IDs provided) that they do not want to be slowed down by leaving comments, especially since their experience is not receiving any response (via comments or agreement of their ID). We interpret their needs as efficiency and effectiveness.

We want to validate these perspectives. This information meets our need for understanding.

We think there is enough evidence in this post to learn what people’s needs are and to decide how best to get those needs met: If one’s need is for learning, and no comment was received, some options provided in this thread are to 1) ask the IDer and/or other top identifier(s) via a comment or direct message or 2) attempt to learn on your own by comparing the potential IDs in play. If one’s need is for connection, one option is to ask people via a comment or direct message, with the understanding that the person on the other end may not reply. In that case, the need for connection within the observation may not be met; in that case, this forum is an opportunity to meet one’s need for connection (as long as we don’t try to get a specific ID, which is against forum policy).

If an identifier’s needs is for effectiveness and efficiency and also for connection or teaching/learning, some identifiers suggested 1) having boilerplate text ready, which can be copied and pasted as a comment or 2) being responsive in a timely manner to those with questions/comments via Comments or direct message.

We are not obligated to meet each other’s needs. And when we know how people feel and what they need, we have lots of information on which to act. People were very free with their perceived options and the motivations for their actions in this post.

7 Likes

I am really very limited in my knowledge of iNaturalist except for very basic functions. Where is the iders list? (And is there any simple way to find the responses to my comments on the forum on my iPhone? I just stumbled across this…)

Each explore page (so basically ordinary page with observations) have tabs for observations, species, iders, observers, you click on iders, then just write down place name in a bar for location and taxon in a bar for taxon. It’ll look like that:

2 Likes

We all fit somewhere on the spectrum between observers and identifiers.
Some only ever observe, then wait hopefully.
Some bring knowledge and identify, but ‘never observe’
Most of us are in between.

5 Likes

Thanks! That means a lot to hear that you appreciate my comments!

I have also favorited observations because I love the ensuing discussion.

1 Like