Distinguishing between different life-histories within the same species

Is there a way of specifying/categorizing that an organism belongs to a particular life-history, within a taxonomic unit.

Specifically, I am wondering about the distinction between sea-run Atlantic salmon (listed as endangered under the US Endangered Species Act) and land-locked salmon (a different life-history of the same species with no protected status).

At one point, land-locked salmon were considered a subspecies (Salmo salar sebago), but apparently it is really a life-history difference, not a taxonomic one.

It is misleading when iNaturalist obscures the location of observations of land-locked salmon and flags them as endangered.

Are there other taxa where it would make sense to be able to categorize life-histories within a species, and is there a feature (other than creating an observation field) that would allow this?

1 Like

I think there are insects and birds that have migratory and non-migratory populations, but I’m not sure if the differences are enough for most people to care.

I feel like an observation field is the best method currently available to track something like that.

1 Like

For the pacific parrotlet (Forpus coelestis) I requested somethign similar, an introduced population in Lima Peru is not endangered and they suggested to open a flag asking for the obervation locations not to be obscured in a specific location; it’s something that’s not done yet though.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.